Saturday, September 12, 2009

24th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Date: September 13, 2009

First Reading (Isaiah 50: 5-9)
A reading of the book of the Prophet Isaiah.
The Lord God has opened my ear. I have not rebelled, nor have I withdrawn. I offered my back to those who strike me, and cheeks to those who pulled my beard; neither did I shield my face from blows, spittle and disgrace. I have not despaired, for the Lord God comes to my help. So, like a flint I set my face, knowing that I will not be disgraced. He who avenges me is near. Who then will accuse me? Let us confront each other. Who is now my accuser? Let him approach. If the Lord God is my help, who will condemn me? All of them will wear out like cloth; the moth will devour them.

Second Reading (James 2: 14-18)
A reading from the letter of Saint James.
What good is it, my brothers and sisters, to profess faith without showing works? Such faith has no power to rescue you. If a brother or sister is in need of clothes or food and one of you says, "May things go well for you; be warm and satisfied," without attending to their material needs, what good is that? So it is for faith without deeds: it is totally dead. Say to whoever challenges you. You have faith and I have good deeds; show me your faith apart from actions and I, for my part, will show you my faith in the way I act.

Gospel (Mark 8: 27-35)
A reading from the holy Gospel according to Mark.
Jesus set out with his disciples for the villages around Caesarea and Philippi; and on the way he asked them, "Who do people say I am?" The disciples answered him, "Some say you are John the baptist; others say you are Elijah or one of the prophets." Then Jesus asked them, "But who do you say I am?" Peter answered, "You are the Messiah." Jesus told his disciples not to tell anyone about him. Jesus then began to teach them that the Son of Man had to suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the Law. He would be killed and after three days, he would rise again. Jesus stated all of this quite openly, so that Peter took him aside and began to protest strongly. But Jesus, turning around and looking at his disciples, rebuked Peter, saying, "Get behind me, Satan! You are thinking not as God does, but as people do." Then Jesus called the people of his disciples and stated, "If you want to follow me, deny yourself, take up your cross, and follow me. For if you choose to save your life, you will lose it; and if you lose your life for my sake and for the sake of the Gospel, you will save it.

1 comment:

  1. Responsorial Psalm (Psalm 116) (Verses 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9)
    The response is: I will walk before the Lord, in the land of the living.

    I am pleased that the Lord has heard my voice in supplication, that he has not been deaf to me, the day I called on him.

    When the cords of death entangled me, the snares of the grave laid hold of me, when affliction got the better of me, I called upon the name of the Lord: O Lord, save my life!

    Gracious and righteous is the Lord; full of compassion is our God. The Lord protects the simple: have saved me when I was humbled.

    For he has freed my soul from death, my eyes from weeping, and my feet from stumbling; I will walk before the Lord in the land of the living.

    ReplyDelete

English: Do you have any comments or questions on this reading? Add your comment or question here.
Español: ¿Tienes cualquier comentarios o preguntas en esta lectura? Añade tu comentario o pregunta aquí.
Bahasa Indonesia: Ada komentar atau pertanyaan untuk bacaan ini? Mengatakan komentar Anda atau pertanyaan disini.
日本語:この読み物にコメントや質問がありますか?コメントや質問、書いて下さい。