Sunday, January 31, 2010

4th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Date: January 31, 2010

First Reading (Jeremiah 1: 4-5 and 17-19)
A reading from the book of the Prophet Jeremiah.
The word of the Lord came to me, "Even before I formed you in the womb I have known you; even before you were born I had set you apart, and appointed you a prophet to the nations! But you, get ready for action; stand up and say to them all that I command you. Be not scared of them or I will scare you in their presence! See, I will make you a fortified city, a pillar of iron with walls of bronze, against all the nations, against the kings and princes of Judah, against the priests and the people of the land. They will fight against you but shall not over come you, for I am with you to rescue you - it is the Lord who speaks."

Second Reading (1 Corinthians 12:31 - 13:13)
A reading from the letter of Saint Paul to the Corinthians.
Brothers and sisters: Be that as it may, set your hearts on the most precious gifts, and I will show you a much better way. If I could speak all the human and angelic tongues, but had no love, I would only be sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. If I had prophecy, knowing secret things with all kinds of knowledge, and had faith great enough to remove mountains, but had no love, I would be nothing. If I gave everything I had to the poor, and even gave up my own body, but only to receive praise and not through love, it would be of no value to me; I acquire nothing. Love is patient, kind, without envy. It is not boastful or arrogant. It is not ill-mannered nor does it seek its own interest. Love overcomes anger and forgets offenses. It does not take delight in wrong, but rejoices in truth. Love excuses everything, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love will never end. Prophecies may cease, tongues be silent and knowledge disappear. For knowledge grasps something of the truth and prophecy as well. And when what is perfect comes, everything imperfect will pass away. When I was a child, I thought and reasoned like a child, but when I grew up, I gave up childish ways. Likewise, at present we see dimly as in a faulty mirror, but then it shall be face to face. Now we know in part, but then I will know as I am known. Now we have faith, hope, and love, these three, but the greatest of these is love.

Gospel (Luke: 4: 21-30)
A reading from the holy Gospel according to Luke.
Jesus stated to the people in the synagogue, "Today, these prophetic words come true even as you listen." All agreed with him and were lost in wonder, while he kept on speak of the grace of God. Nevertheless they asked, "Who is this but Joseph's son?" So, Jesus stated, "Doubtless you will quote me the saying: 'Doctor, heal yourself! Do here in your town what they say you did in Capernaum.'" Jesus added, "No prophet is honored in his own country. Truly, I say to you, there were many widows in Israel in the days of Elijah, when the heavens withheld rain for three years and six months and a great famine came over the whole land. Yet Elijah was not sent to any of them, but to a widow of Zarephath, in the country of Sidon. There were also many lepers in Israel in the time of Elisha, the prophet, and no one was healed except Naaman, the Syrian." On hearing these words, the whole assembly became indignant. They rose up and brought him out of the town, to the edge of the hill on which Nazareth is built, intending to throw him down the cliff. However, Jesus passed through their midst and went his way.

1 comment:

  1. Responsorial Psalm (Psalm 71) (Verses 1-6, 8, and 17)
    The response is: I will sing of your salvation.

    In you, O Lord, I seek refuge; let me not be disgraced. In your justice help me and deliver me, turn your ear to me, and save me!

    Be my rock of refuge, a stronghold to give me safety, for you are my rock and my fortress. Rescue me, O my God, from the hand of the wicked, from the grasp of cruel and violent people.

    For you, O Lord, have been my hope, my trust, O God, from my youth. I have relied on you from birth: from my mother's womb you brought me forth. My praise is of you continually.

    My mouth is filled with your praise, announcing your glory day by day. You have taught me from my youth and until now, I proclaim your marvels.

    ReplyDelete

English: Do you have any comments or questions on this reading? Add your comment or question here.
Español: ¿Tienes cualquier comentarios o preguntas en esta lectura? Añade tu comentario o pregunta aquí.
Bahasa Indonesia: Ada komentar atau pertanyaan untuk bacaan ini? Mengatakan komentar Anda atau pertanyaan disini.
日本語:この読み物にコメントや質問がありますか?コメントや質問、書いて下さい。