Saturday, April 10, 2010

2nd Sunday of Easter (Sunday of Divine Mercy)

Date: April 11, 2010

First Reading (Acts 5: 12–16)
A reading from the Acts of the Apostles.
Many miraculous signs and wonders were done among the people through the hands of the apostles. The believers, of one accord, used to meet in Solomon's Porch. None of the others dare to join them, but the people held them in high esteem. So an ever increasing number of men and women, believed in the Lord. The people carried the sick into the streets and laid them on cots and on mats, so that when Peter passed by, at least his shadow might fall on some of them. The people gathered from the towns around Jerusalem, bringing their sick and those who troubled by unclean spirits, and all of them were healed.

Second Reading (Revelation 1: 9–13 and 17–19)
A reading from the book of Revelation.
I, John, your brother, who share with you, in Jesus, the sufferings, the kingdom and the patient endurance, was on the island of Patmos, because of the Word of God and witnessing to Jesus. On the Lord's day, the Spirit took possession of me and I heard a voice behind me which sounded like a trumpet, "Write down all that you see, in a book, and send it to the seven Churches of Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea." I turned to see who was speaking to me; behind me were seven golden lampstands and, in the middle of these, I saw someone like a son of man, dressed in a long robe tied with a golden girdle. Seeing him, I fell at his feet like one dead but he touched me with his right hand and stated, "Do not be afraid. It is I, the First and the Last. I am the living one; I was dead and now I am alive for ever and ever; and mine are the keys of death and the netherworld. Now write what you have seen, both what is and what is yet to come."

Gospel (John 20: 19–31)
A reading from the holy Gospel according to John.
On the evening of that day, the first day after the sabbath, the doors were locked where the disciples were, because of their fear of the Jews, but Jesus came and stood in their midst. He stated to them, "Peace be with you."; then he showed them his hands and his side. The disciples kept looking at the Lord and were filled with joy. Again Jesus stated to them, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you." After stating this he breathed on them and stated to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit; for those whose sins you forgive, they are forgiven; for those whose sins you retain, they are retained. Thomas, the Twin, one of the Twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. The other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord." But Thomas replied, "Until I have seen in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe." Eight days later, the disciples were inside again and Thomas was with them. Despite the locked doors Jesus came and stood in their midst and stated, "Peace be with you." Then Jesus stated to Thomas, "Put your finger here and see my hands; stretch out your hand and put it into my side. Resist no longer and be a believer." Thomas then stated, "You are my Lord and my God." Jesus replied, "You believe because you see me, do you not? Happy are those who have not seen and believe." There were many other signs that Jesus gave in the presence of his disciples, but they are not recorded in this book. These are recorded so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; believe and you will have life through his Name.

3 comments:

  1. Responsorial Psalm (Psalm 118) (Verses 2-4, 13-15, and 22-24)
    The response is: Give thanks to the Lord for he is good, his love is everlasting. (You may also respond with 'Alleluia!'.)

    Let Israel say, "His loving endures forever." Let the house of Aaron say, "His loving kindness endures forever." Let those who fear the Lord say, "His loving kindness endures forever."

    I was pushed hard and about to fall, but the Lord came to my help. The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. Joyful shouts of victory are heard in the tents of the just.

    The stone rejected by the builders has become the cornerstone. This was the Lord's doing and we marvel at it. This is the day the Lord has made; so let us rejoice and be glad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There will be seven Sundays of Easter until Pentecost, Trinity, and finally, the Body and Blood of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the most hilarious homilies from the priest! I laughed so hard!

    ReplyDelete

English: Do you have any comments or questions on this reading? Add your comment or question here.
Español: ¿Tienes cualquier comentarios o preguntas en esta lectura? Añade tu comentario o pregunta aquí.
Bahasa Indonesia: Ada komentar atau pertanyaan untuk bacaan ini? Mengatakan komentar Anda atau pertanyaan disini.
日本語:この読み物にコメントや質問がありますか?コメントや質問、書いて下さい。