Saturday, February 20, 2010

1st Sunday of Lent

Date: February 20, 2010

First Reading (Deuteronomy 26: 4–10)
A reading from the book of Deuteronomy.
Moses proclaimed to the people, "The priest shall take the large basket from your hands and place it before the altar of the Lord, your God, and you shall say these words before the Lord, 'My father was a wandering Aramean. He went down to Egypt to find refuge there, while still few in number; but in that country, he became a great and powerful nation. The Egyptians maltreated us, oppressed us and subjected us to harsh slavery. So we called to the Lord, the God of our ancestors, and the Lord listened to us. He saw our humiliation, our hard labor and the oppression to which we were subjected. He brought us out of Egypt with a firm hand, manifesting his power with signs and awesome wonders. And he brought us here to give us this land flowing with milk and honey. So now I bring and offer the firstfruits of the land which you, the Lord, have given me.'"

Second Reading (Romans 10: 8–13)
A reading from the letter of Saint Paul to the Romans.
Brothers and sisters: What does Scripture say? The word of God is near your, on your lips and in your hearts. This is the message that we preach, and this is faith. You are saved if you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and in your heart you believe that God raised him from the dead. By believing from the heart, you obtain true righteousness; by confessing the faith with your lips you are saved. For Scripture says: No one who believes in him will be ashamed. Here there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; all have the same Lord, who is very generous with whoever calls on him. Truly, all who call upon the name of the Lord will be saved.

Gospel (Luke 4: 1–13)
A reading from the holy Gospel according to Luke.
Jesus was now full of Holy Spirit as he returned from the Jordan, the Spirit led him into the desert where he was tempted by the devil for forty days. He did not eat anything during that time, and in the end, he was hungry. The devil then stated to him, "If you are the son of God, tell this stone to transform into bread." However, Jesus answered, "But the Scripture states: People cannot live on bread alone." Then the devil took him up to a high place and shows him in a flash all the nations of the world. And he stated to Jesus, "I can give your power over all the nations and their wealth have been delivered to me and I give them to whom I wish. All this will be yours provided you worship me." But Jesus replied, "But the Scripture states: You shall worship the Lord your God and serve him alone." Then the devil took Jesus up to Jerusalem and set him on the highest wall of the Temple; and he stated, "If you are the son of God, throw yourself down from here, for it is written in the Scriptures: God will order his angels to take care of you and again: They will hold you in their hands, lest you hurt your foot against the stones." But Jesus replied, "But Scripture also states: You shall not challenge the Lord your God." When the devil had exhausted every way of tempting Jesus, he left him, to return another time.

17 comments:

  1. Responsorial Psalm (Psalm 91) (Verses 1, 2, 10-15)
    The response is: Be with me, Lord, when I am in trouble.

    You who dwell in the shelter of the Most high, who rest in the show of the Almighty, say to the Lord, "My stronghold, my refuge, my God in whom I trust!"

    No harm will come upon you, no disaster will draw near your home. For he will command his angels to guard you in all your ways.

    They will lift you up with their hands so that your foot will not hit a stone. You will tread on wildcats and snakes and trample the lion and the dragon.

    "Because they cling to me, I will rescue them," say the Lord. "I will protect those who know my name. When they call to me, I shall answer; in time of trouble I will be with them; I will deliver and honor them."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lord for blessing us every day, I shall praise you in all my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Lord for all the blessings. Help us and guide us. I need you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come to me, and I will give you rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. See YouTube: Lift Up Your Hands sung by Basil Valdez.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GwMfywNhUI
    thanks for this video...
    I was really touched by God.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my gosh... it hurts. i remember this song when my little sister died(coz dengue fever) I LOVE YOU SO MUCH MY LITTLE SISTER and we miss u so much....thank u so much for this video.godbless u

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GwMfywNhUI
    This is exactly what I needed to start my day... thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lyrics to Lift Up Your Hands
    Verse 1
    Life, is not that all that bad my friend, hmm... If you believe in yourself, if you believe there's someone who walks through life with you, you'll never be alone. Just learn to reach out, and open your heart, lift up your hands to God, and he'll show you the way.

    Refrain
    And he said, "Cast your burdens upon me, those who are heavenly laden, come to me all of you who are tired, of carrying heavy loads. For the yoke I will give you is easy, and my burden is light; come to me, and I will give you rest."

    Verse 2
    When, you feel the world is tumbling down, on you... And when you have no one, that you can hold on to... Just face the rising sun, and you'll see hope, there is no need to run, lift up your hands to God, and he'll make you feel all right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. See Lift up Your Hands sung by Basil Valdez on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GwMfywNhUI

    ReplyDelete
  10. lord pls save my baby.....
    my dr say my baby doesnt hv heartbeat
    in 5 weeks.......
    lord pls save my bby

    ReplyDelete
  11. We all shall pray for your baby...

    ReplyDelete
  12. The comment from marianitaflores1 occurred in July 2009. May the Lord bless and pray for marianitaflores1's baby who is in fact, does not have a heartbeat. From the doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This song is so powerful....Ive been crying for the past few weeks...Im in pain...emotional pain..But then I heard this song...I thought I was alone, but i was wrong....I was about to give up, but a voice told me Its not the end of the world..and I'll help you go through.. I never knew that GOD is with me all the time....and I felt how much HE loves me......

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made the song Lift Up your Hands as our theme song. when Jesus invite me face to face in pena francia seminary at bibincahn sorsogon2x. di ko nalilimutan ng ako ay katagpuin Nya. kasama ko ang lahat ng delegates choir group sa sorsogon nun at nasa isang kuarto kami kinakanta nmain ang come hol;y spirit maya maya nagiiyakan ang mga kasma ko sbi ko nakakahiya umiiyak sila sa madaming tao. pero nung makit ako sa kuartong iyon ang isang lalaki n nakapito parang abito aat inabot ko kamay Nya napalahaw ako. dant_1043

    ReplyDelete
  15. Primera Lectura (Deuteronomio 26: 4-10)
    Una lectura del libro de Deuteronomio.
    Moisés le proclamó a la multitud: “Y el sacerdote tomará de tus manos el canasto y lo depositará ante el altar de Yahvé, tu Dios. Entonces tú dirás estas palabras ante Yahvé: Mi padre era un arameo errante, que bajó a Egipto y fue a refugiarse allí, siendo pocos aún; pero en ese país se hizo una nación grande y poderosa. Los egipcios nos maltrataron, nos oprimieron y nos impusieron dura servidumbre. Llamamos pues a Yahvé, Dios de nuestros padres, y Yahvé nos escuchó, vio nuestra humillación, nuestros duros trabajos y nuestra opresión. Yahvé nos sacó de Egipto con mano firme, demostrando su poder con señales y milagros que sembraron el terror. Y nos trajo aquí para darnos esta tierra que mana leche y miel. Y ahora vengo a ofrecer los primeros productos de la tierra que tú, Yahvé, me has dado. Los depositarás ante Yahvé, te postrarás y adorarás a Yahvé, tu Dios.”

    Segunda Lectura (Romanos 10: 8-13)
    Una lectura de la carta de San Pablo a los romanos.
    Hermanos y hermanas: ¿Pero qué es lo que dice la justicia? La palabra está cerca de ti, en tu boca y en tu corazón, es decir la palabra de la fe que nosotros predicamos. Porque si confiesas con tu boca que Jesús es el Señor y crees en tu corazón que Dios lo resucitó de entre los muertos, serás salvado. Con el corazón se cree para alcanzar la justicia, y con la boca se confiesa para obtener la salvación. Así lo afirma la Escritura: "El que cree en él, no quedará confundido". Porque no hay distinción entre judíos y los que no lo son: todos tienen el mismo Señor, que colma de bienes a quienes lo invocan. Ya que todo el que invoque el nombre del Señor se salvará.

    Evangelio (Lucas 4: 1-13)
    Una lectura del Evangelio Santo según San Lucas.
    Jesús, lleno del Espíritu Santo, regresó de las orillas del Jordán y fue conducido por el Espíritu al desierto, donde fue tentado por el demonio durante cuarenta días. No comió nada durante esos días, y al cabo de ellos tuvo hambre. El demonio le dijo entonces: “Si tú eres Hijo de Dios, manda a esta piedra que se convierta en pan.” Pero Jesús le respondió: “Dice la Escritura: ‘El hombre no vive solamente de pan.’” Luego el demonio lo llevó a un lugar más alto, le mostró en un instante todos los reinos de la tierra y le dijo: “Te daré todo este poder y esplendor de estos reinos, porque me han sido entregados, y yo los doy a quien quiero. Si tú te postras delante de mí, todo eso te pertenecerá.” Pero Jesús le respondió: “Está escrito: ‘Adorarás al Señor, tu Dios, y a él solo rendirás culto.’” Después el demonio lo condujo a Jerusalén, lo puso en la parte más alta del Templo y le dijo: “Si tú eres Hijo de Dios, tírate de aquí abajo, porque está escrito: ‘El dará órdenes a sus ángeles para que ellos te cuiden.’” Y también: “Ellos te llevarán en sus manos para que tu pie no tropiece con ninguna piedra.” Pero Jesús le respondió: “Está escrito: ‘No tentarás al Señor, tu Dios.’” Una vez agotadas todas las formas de tentación, el demonio se alejó de él, hasta el momento oportuno.

    ReplyDelete

English: Do you have any comments or questions on this reading? Add your comment or question here.
Español: ¿Tienes cualquier comentarios o preguntas en esta lectura? Añade tu comentario o pregunta aquí.
Bahasa Indonesia: Ada komentar atau pertanyaan untuk bacaan ini? Mengatakan komentar Anda atau pertanyaan disini.
日本語:この読み物にコメントや質問がありますか?コメントや質問、書いて下さい。