Saturday, March 6, 2010

3rd Sunday of Lent

Date: March 7, 2010

First Reading (Exodus 3: 1-8a and 13-15)
A reading from the book of Exodus.
Moses pastured the sheep of Jethro, his father-in-law, priest of Midian. One day he led the flock to the far side of the desert and came to Horeb, the Mountain of God. The Angel of the Lord appeared to Moses by means of a flame of fire in the middle of a bush. Moses saw that although the bush was on fire, it did not burn up. Moses thought, "I will go and see this amazing sight, why is the bush not burning up?" The Lord saw that Moses drawing near to look, and God called to him from the middle of the bush, "Moses! Moses!" He replied, "Here I am." The Lord stated to him, "Do not come near, take off your sandals because the place where you are standing is holy ground." And God continued, "I am the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob." Moses hid his face lest his eyes look on God. The Lord stated, "I have seen the humiliation of my people in Egypt and I hear their cry when they are cruelly treated by their taskmasters. I know their suffering. I have come down to free them from the power of the Egyptians and to bring them up from that land to a beautiful spacious land, a land flowing with milk and honey. Moses answered God, "If I go to the Israelites and say to them: 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' they will ask me: 'What is his name?' What shall I answer them?" God stated to Moses, "I AM WHO AM. This is what you will say to the sons of Israel: 'I AM sent me to you.'" God then stated to Moses, "You will say to the Israelites: 'The LORD, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me.' That will be my name forever, and by this name they shall call upon me for all generations to come."

Second Reading (1 Corinthians 10: 1-6 and 10-12)
A reading from the first letter of Saint Paul to the Corinthians.
Let me remind you, brothers and sisters, about our ancestors. All of them were under the cloud and all crossed the sea. All underwent the baptism of the land and of the sea to join Moses, and all of them ate from the same spiritual food, and all of them drank from the same spiritual drink. For you know that they drank from a spiritual rock following them, and the rock was Christ. However, most of them did not please God, and the desert was strewn with their bodies. All of this happened as an example for us, so that we might not become people of evil desires, as they did. Do not grumble as some of them did and were cut down by the destroying angel. These things happened to them as an example, and they were written as a warning for us, as the last times come upon us. Therefore, if you think you stand, beware, lest you fall.

Gospel (Luke 13: 1-9)
A reading from the holy Gospel according to Luke.
One day some people told Jesus what had occurred in the Temple: Pilate had Galileans killed and their blood mingled with the blood of their sacrifices. Jesus replied, "Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered this? I tell you: no. But unless you change your ways, you will all perish as they did. And those eighteen people in Siloah who were crushed when the tower fell, do you think they were more guilty than all the others in Jerusalem? I tell you: no. But unless you change your ways, you will all perish as they did." And Jesus continued with this story, "A man had a fig tree growing in his vineyard and he came looking for fruit on it, but found none. Then he stated to the gardener: 'Look here, for three years now I have been looking for figs on this tree and I have found none. Cut it down, why should it use up the ground?' The gardener replied: 'Leave it one more year, so that I may dig around it and add some fertilizer; and perhaps it will bear fruit from now on. But if it does not, you can cut it down.'"

2 comments:

  1. Responsorial Psalm (Psalm 103)(Verses 1-4, 6, 7, 8, and 11)
    The response is: The Lord is kind and merciful.

    Bless the Lord, my soul; all my being, bless his holy name! Bless the Lord, my soul; and do not forget his kindness.

    He forgives all your sins and heals all your sicknesses; he redeems your life from destruction and crowns you with love and compassion.

    The Lord restores justice and secures the rights of the oppressed. He has made know his ways to Moses and his deeds to the people of Israel.

    The Lord is gracious and merciful, abounding in love and slow to anger. As the heavens are high above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him.

    ReplyDelete

English: Do you have any comments or questions on this reading? Add your comment or question here.
Español: ¿Tienes cualquier comentarios o preguntas en esta lectura? Añade tu comentario o pregunta aquí.
Bahasa Indonesia: Ada komentar atau pertanyaan untuk bacaan ini? Mengatakan komentar Anda atau pertanyaan disini.
日本語:この読み物にコメントや質問がありますか?コメントや質問、書いて下さい。