Saturday, September 11, 2010

24th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Date: September 12, 2010

First Reading (Exodus 32: 7–11 and 13–14)
A reading from the book of Exodus.
Therefore the Lord stated to Moses, "Go down at once, for your people, whom you brought up from the land of Egypt, have corrupted themselves. They have quickly turned from the way I commanded them and have made for themselves a molten calf; they have bowed down before it sacrificed to it and said: 'These are your gods, Israel, who brought you out of Egypt.'" The Lord additionally stated to Moses, "I see that these people are a stiff-necked people. Now just leave me that my anger may blaze against them. I will destroy them, but of you I will make a great nation." But Moses calmed the anger of the Lord, his God, and said, "Why, O Lord, should your anger burst against your people whom your brought out of the land of Egypt with such great power and with a mighty hand? Remember your servants, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and the promise you yourself swore: I will multiply your descendants like the stars of heaven, and all this land I spoke about I will give to them as an everlasting inheritance." The Lord then changed his mind and would not harm his people.

Second Reading (1 Timothy 1: 12–17)
A reading from the first letter of Saint Paul to Timothy.
I give thanks to Christ Jesus, our Lord, who is my strength, who has considered me trustworthy and appointed me to his service, although I had been a blasphemer, a persecutor and a rabid enemy. However, he took mercy on me because I did not know what I was doing when I opposed the faith; and the grace of our Lord was more than abundant, together with faith and Christian love. This saying is true and worthy of belief: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the first. Because of that I was forgiven; Christ Jesus wanted to display his greatness in me so that I might be an example for all who are to believe and obtain eternal life. To the King of ages, the only God who lives beyond every perishable and visible creation – to him be honor and glory forever. Amen!

Gospel (Luke 15: 1–32)
A reading from the holy Gospel according to Luke.
Meanwhile, tax collectors and sinners were seeking the company of Jesus, all of them eager to hear what he had to say. But the Pharisees and the scribes frowned at this, muttering, "This man welcomes sinners and eats with them." Therefore, Jesus told them this parable: "Who among you, having a hundred sheep and losing one of them, will not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and seek out the lost one till he finds it? And finding it, will he not joyfully carry it home on his shoulders? Then he will call his friends and neighbors together and say: 'Celebrate with me for I have found my lost sheep.' I tell you, just so, there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one repentant sinner than over ninety-nine upright who do not need to repent. What woman, if she has ten silver coins and loses one, will not light a lamp and sweep the house in a thorough search until she finds the lost coin? And finding it, she will call her friends and neighbors and say: 'Celebrate with me for I have found the silver coin I lost!' I tell you, in the same way there is rejoicing among the angels of God over one repentant sinner." And then Jesus continued with this parable: "There was a man with two sons. The younger son said to his father: 'Give me my share of the estate.' So the father divided his property between them. Some days later, the younger son gathered all his belongings and started off for a distant land where he squandered his wealth in loose living. Having spent everything, he was hard pressed when a severe famine broke out in that land. So he hired himself out to a well-to-do citizen of that place and was sent to work on a pig farm. So famished was he that he longed to fill his stomach even with the food given to the pigs, but no one offered him anything. Finally coming to his senses, he said: 'How many of my father's hired workers have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! I will get up and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against God and before you. I no longer deserved to be called your son. Treat me then as one of your hired servants.' With that thought in mind he set off for his father's house. He was still a long way off when his father caught sight of him. His father was so deeply moved with compassion that he ran out to meet him, threw his arms around his neck and kissed him. The son said: 'Father, I have sinned against Heaven and before you. I no longer deserve to be called your son...' But the father turned to his servants: 'Quick! Bring out the finest robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Take the fattened calf and kill it. We shall celebrate and have a feast, for this son of mine was dead and has come back to life. He was lost and is found.' And the celebration commenced. Meanwhile, the elder son had been working in the fields. As he returned and was near the house, he heard the sound of music and dancing. He called one of the servants and asked what it was all about. The servant answered: "Your brother has come home safe and sound, and your father is so happy about it that he has ordered this celebration and killed the fattened calf.' The elder son became angry and refused to go in. His father came out and pleaded with him. The indignant son said: 'Look I have slaved for you all these years. Never have I disobeyed your orders. Yet you have never given me even a young goat to celebrate with my friends. Then when his son of yours returns after squandering your property with loose women, you kill the fattened calf for him.' The father said: 'My son, you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. But this brother of yours was dead, and has come back to life. He was lost and is found. And for that we had to rejoice and be glad.'"

6 comments:

  1. Responsorial Psalm (Psalm 51) (Verses 3-4, 12-13, and 17-19)
    The response is: I will rise and go to my Father.

    Have mercy on me, O God, in your love. In your great compassion blot out my sin. Wash me thoroughly of my guilt; cleanse me of evil.

    Create in me, O God, a pure heart; give me a new and steadfast spirit. Do not cast me out of your presence nor take your holy spirit from me.

    O Lord, open my lips, and I will declare your praise. You take no pleasure in sacrifice; were I to give a burst offering, you would not delight in it. O God, my sacrifice is a broken spirit; a contrite heart you will not despise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There will be no vocabulary question on this day. I apologize for the inconvenience. Announcement: on this day is Sean's 15th birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sean, I would like to greet you Feliz Cumpleaños! May the Lord bless you in your journeys of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sean, I apologize that it occurred last week, but I would like to say happy birthday! Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Primera Lectura (Éxodo 7–11 y 13–14)
    Una lectura del libro del Éxodo.
    Entonces Yahvé dijo a Moisés en el cerro: “Vuelve y baja, porque tu pueblo ha pecado. Bien pronto se han apartado del camino que yo les había indicado. Se han hecho un ternero de metal fundido y se han postrado ante él. Le han ofrecido sacrificios y han dicho: Israel, aquí están tus dioses que te han sacado de Egipto.” Yahvé dijo también: “Ya veo que ese pueblo es un pueblo rebelde. Ahora, pues, deja que estalle mi furor contra ellos. Voy a exterminarlos, mientras que de ti yo haré nacer un gran pueblo.” Moisés suplicó a Yahvé, su Dios, con estas palabras: “Oh Yahvé, ¿cómo podrías enojarte con tu pueblo, después de todos los prodigios que hiciste para sacarlo de Egipto? Acuérdate de tus servidores Abrahán, Isaac y Jacob, y de las promesas que les hiciste. Pues juraste por tu propio Nombre: “Multiplicaré tu descendencia como las estrellas del cielo, y daré a tu raza la tierra que te prometí, para que sea de ellos para siempre.” Así, pues, Yahvé renunció a destruir a su pueblo, como lo había anunciado.

    Salmo responsorial (Salmo 51) (Versículos 3–4, 12–13, y 17–19)
    La respuesta es: Me levantaré e iré al Padre.
    • ¡Ten piedad de mí, oh Dios, por tu bondad, por tu gran compasión, borra mis faltas! ¡Lávame totalmente de mi culpa y purifícame de mi pecado!
    • Crea en mí, Dios mío, un corazón puro, y renueva la firmeza de mi espíritu. No me arrojes lejos de tu presencia ni retires de mí tu santo espíritu.
    • Abre mis labios, Señor, y mi boca proclamará tu alabanza. Los sacrificios no te satisfacen; si ofrezco un holocausto, no lo aceptas: mi sacrificio es un espíritu contrito, tú no desprecias el corazón contrito y humillado.

    Segunda Lectura (1 Timoteo 1: 12–17)
    Una lectura de la primera carta de San Pablo a Timoteo.
    Doy gracias a nuestro Señor Jesucristo, porque me ha fortalecido y me ha considerado digno de confianza, llamándome a su servicio a pesar de mis blasfemias, persecuciones e insolencias anteriores. Pero fui tratado con misericordia, porque cuando no tenía fe, actuaba así por ignorancia. Y sobreabundó a mí la gracia de nuestro Señor, junto con la fe y el amor de Cristo Jesús. Es doctrina cierta y digna de fe que Jesucristo vino al mundo para salvar a los pecadores, y yo soy el peor de ellos. Si encontré misericordia, fue para que Jesucristo demostrara en mí toda su paciencia, poniéndome como ejemplo de los que van a creer en él para alcanzar la Vida eterna. ¡Al Rey eterno y universal, al Dios incorruptible, invisible y único, honor y gloria por los siglos de los siglos! Amén.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evangelio (Lucas 15: 1–32)
      Una lectura del Evangelio Santo según San Lucas.
      Todos los publicanos y pecadores se acercaban a Jesús para escucharlo. Los fariseos y los escribas murmuraban, diciendo: “Este hombre recibe a los pecadores y come con ellos.” Jesús les dijo entonces esta parábola: “Si alguien tiene cien ovejas y pierde una, ¿no deja acaso las noventa y nueve en el campo y va a buscar la que se había perdido, hasta encontrarla? Y cuando la encuentra, la carga sobre sus hombros, lleno de alegría, y al llegar a su casa llama a sus amigos y vecinos, y les dice: ‘Alégrense conmigo, porque encontré la oveja que se me había perdido.’ Les aseguro que, de la misma manera, habrá más alegría en el cielo por un solo pecador que se convierta, que por noventa y nueve justos que no necesitan convertirse.” Y les dijo también: ‘Si una mujer tiene diez dracmas y pierde una, ¿no enciende acaso la lámpara, barre la casa y busca con cuidado hasta encontrarla? Y cuando la encuentra, llama a sus amigas y vecinas, y les dice: ‘Alégrense conmigo, porque encontré la dracma que se me había perdido.’ Les aseguro que, de la misma manera, se alegran los ángeles de Dios por un solo pecador que se convierte.” Jesús dijo también: “Un hombre tenía dos hijos. El menor de ellos dijo a su padre: ‘Padre, dame la parte de herencia que me corresponde.’ Y el padre les repartió sus bienes. Pocos días después, el hijo menor recogió todo lo que tenía y se fue a un país lejano, donde malgastó sus bienes en una vida licenciosa. Después de haberlo gastado todo, sobrevino una fuerte hambre en aquella tierra y comenzó a sentir necesidad. Entonces se puso al servicio de uno de los habitantes de esa región, que lo envió a su campo para cuidar cerdos. Él hubiera deseado calmar su hambre con las bellotas que comían los cerdos, pero nadie se las daba. Entonces recapacitó y dijo: ‘¡Cuántos jornaleros de mi padre tienen pan en abundancia, y yo estoy aquí muriéndome de hambre!’ Ahora mismo iré a la casa de mi padre y le diré: ‘Padre, pequé contra el Cielo y contra ti; ya no merezco ser llamado hijo tuyo, trátame como a uno de tus jornaleros.’ Entonces partió y volvió a la casa de su padre. Cuando todavía estaba lejos, su padre lo vio y se conmovió profundamente, corrió a su encuentro, lo abrazó y lo besó. El joven le dijo: ‘Padre, pequé contra el Cielo y contra ti; no merezco ser llamado hijo tuyo.’ Pero el padre dijo a sus servidores: ‘Traigan enseguida la mejor ropa y vístanlo, pónganle un anillo en el dedo y sandalias en los pies. Traigan el ternero engordado y mátenlo. Comamos y festejemos, porque mi hijo estaba muerto y ha vuelto a la vida, estaba perdido y fue encontrado.’ Y comenzó la fiesta. El hijo mayor estaba en el campo. Al volver, ya cerca de la casa, oyó la música y los coros que acompañaban la danza. Y llamando a uno de los sirvientes, le preguntó que significaba eso. Él le respondió: ‘Tu hermano ha regresado, y tu padre hizo matar el ternero y engordado, porque lo ha recobrado sano y salvo.’ Él se enojó y no quiso entrar. Su padre salió para rogarle que entrara, pero él le respondió: ‘Hace tantos años que te sirvo sin haber desobedecido jamás ni una sola de tus órdenes, y nunca me diste un cabrito para hacer una fiesta con mis amigos. ¡Y ahora que ese hijo tuyo ha vuelto, después de haber gastado tus bienes con mujeres, haces matar para él el ternero engordado!’ Pero el padre le dijo: ‘Hijo mío, tú estás siempre conmigo, y todo lo mío es tuyo. Es justo que haya fiesta y alegría, porque tu hermano estaba muerto y ha vuelto a la vida, estaba perdido y ha sido encontrado.’”

      Delete

English: Do you have any comments or questions on this reading? Add your comment or question here.
Español: ¿Tienes cualquier comentarios o preguntas en esta lectura? Añade tu comentario o pregunta aquí.
Bahasa Indonesia: Ada komentar atau pertanyaan untuk bacaan ini? Mengatakan komentar Anda atau pertanyaan disini.
日本語:この読み物にコメントや質問がありますか?コメントや質問、書いて下さい。