Saturday, October 23, 2010

30th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Date: October 24, 2010

First Reading (Sirach 35: 12–14 and 16–18)
A reading from the book of Sirach.
The Lord is judge and shows no partiality. He will not disadvantage the poor, he who hears the prayer of the oppressed. He does not disdain the plea of the orphan, nor the complaint of the widow. The one who serves God wholeheartedly will be heard; his petition will reach the clouds. The prayer of the humble person pierces the clouds, and he is not consoled until he has been heard. His prayer will not cease until the Most High has looked down, until justice has been done in favor of the righteous.

Second Reading (2 Timothy 4: 6–8 and 16–18)
A reading from the second letter of Saint Paul to Timothy.
Beloved: As for me, the time of sacrifice has arrived, and the moment of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness with which the Lord, the just judge, will reward me on that day; and not only me, but all those have longed for his glorious coming. At my first hearing in court no one supported me; all deserted me. May the Lord not hold it against them. But the Lord was at my side, giving me strength to proclaim the Word fully, and let all the pagans hear it. So I was rescued from the lion's mouth. The Lord will save me from all evil, bringing me to his heavenly kingdom. Glory to him forever and ever! Amen!

Gospel (Luke 18: 9–14)
A reading from the holy Gospel according to Luke.
Jesus told another parable to some persons fully convinced of their own righteousness, who looked down on others, "Two men went up to the Temple to pray; one was a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood by himself and stated: 'I thank you, God, that I am not like other people, grasping, crooked, adulterous, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give tenth of all my income to the Temple.' In the meantime the tax collector, standing far off, would not lift his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast stating: 'O God, be merciful to me, a sinner.' I tell you, when this man went down to his house, he had been set right with God, but not the other. For whoever makes himself out to be great will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be raised."

8 comments:

  1. Responsorial Psalm (Psalm 34) (Verses 2-3 and 17-20)
    The response is: The Lord hears the cry of the poor.

    I will bless the Lord in all my days; his praise will be ever on my lips. My soul makes its boast in the Lord; let the lowly hear and rejoice.

    But his face is set against the wicked to destroy their memory from the earth. The Lord hears the cry from the righteous and rescues them from all their troubles.

    The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves the distraught. Many are the troubles of the just, but the Lord delivers them from all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Gospel reading. Now I know that being humble is the key to acquiring many friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I concur. Being too arrogant may cause your friendship to disappear and many colleagues will despise you when you are haughty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey everybody! It has been a while that I commented on this blog. I noticed that there are new links to different websites, and Sean additionally introduced Garfield! Thank you for putting that in so I can read the comics too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tax collector was beating his breast? A man does not have big breasts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you are right, Gurvilin! The Gospel literally stated that the man was beating his breast! Now how did that happen? It was not supposed to be this way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. $1,000,000 for Gurvilin because he stated that interesting point. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Primera Lectura (Eclesiástico 35: 12–14 y 16–18)
    Una lectura del libro del Eclesiástico.
    Porque el Señor es juez y no hace distinción de personas: no se muestra parcial contra el pobre y escucha la súplica del oprimido; no desoye la plegaria del huérfano, ni a la viuda, cuando expone su queja. El que rinde el culto que agrada al Señor, es aceptado, y su plegaria llega hasta las nubes. La súplica del humilde atraviesa las nubes y mientras no llega a su destino, él no se consuela: no desiste hasta que el Altísimo interviene, para juzgar a los justos y hacerles justicia.

    Salmo responsorial (Salmo 34) (Versículos 2–3 y 17–20)
    La respuesta es: El Señor oye las quejas de los pobres.
    • Bendeciré al Señor en todo tiempo, su alabanza estará siempre en mis labios. Mi alma se gloría en el Señor; que lo oigan los humildes y se alegren.
    • Pero el Señor rechaza a los que hacen el mal para borrar su recuerdo de la tierra. Cuando ellos claman, el Señor los escucha y los libra de todas sus angustias.
    • El Señor está cerca del que sufre y salva a los que están abatidos. El justo padece muchos males, pero el Señor lo libra de ellos.

    Segunda Lectura (2 Timoteo 4: 6–8 y 16–18)
    Una lectura de la segunda carta de San Pablo a Timoteo.
    Yo ya estoy a punto de ser derramado como una libación, y el momento de mi partida se aproxima: he peleado hasta el fin el buen combate, concluí mi carrera, conservé la fe. Y ya está preparada para mí la corona de justicia, que el Señor, como justo Juez, me dará en ese Día, y no solamente a mí, sino a todos los que hay aguardado con amor su Manifestación. Cuando hice mi primera defensa, nadie me acompañó, sino que todos me abandonaron. ¡Ojalá que no les sea tenido en cuenta! Pero el Señor estuvo a mi lado, dándome fuerzas, para que el mensaje fuera proclamado por mi intermedio y llegara a oídos de todos los paganos. Así fui librado de la boca del león. El Señor me librará de todo mal y me preservará hasta que entre en su Reino celestial. ¡A él sea la gloria por los siglos de los siglos! Amén.

    Evangelio (Lucas 18: 9–14)
    Una lectura del Evangelio Santo según San Lucas.
    Y refiriéndose a algunos que se tenían por justos y despreciaban a los demás, Jesús dijo también esta parábola: “Dos hombres subieron al Templo para orar; uno era fariseo y el otro, publicano. El fariseo, de pie, oraba así: ‘Dios mío, te doy gracias porque no soy como los demás hombres, que son ladrones, injustos y adúlteros; ni tampoco como ese publicano. Ayuno dos veces por semana y pago la décima parte de todas mis entradas.’ En cambio el publicano, manteniéndose a distancia, no se animaba siquiera a levantar los ojos al cielo, sino que se golpeaba el pecho, diciendo: ‘¡Dios mío, ten piedad de mí, que soy un pecador!’ Les aseguro que este último volvió a su casa justificada, pero no el primero. Porque todo el que se ensalza será humillado y el que se humilla será ensalzado.”

    ReplyDelete

English: Do you have any comments or questions on this reading? Add your comment or question here.
Español: ¿Tienes cualquier comentarios o preguntas en esta lectura? Añade tu comentario o pregunta aquí.
Bahasa Indonesia: Ada komentar atau pertanyaan untuk bacaan ini? Mengatakan komentar Anda atau pertanyaan disini.
日本語:この読み物にコメントや質問がありますか?コメントや質問、書いて下さい。