Saturday, April 25, 2009

3rd Sunday of Easter

Date: April 26, 2009

First Reading (Acts 3: 13-19)
A reading from the Acts of the Apostles.
Peter stated this to the Israelites, "The God of Abraham, of Isaac and of Jacob, the God of our ancestors has glorified his servant Jesus whom you handed over to death and denied before Pilate, when even Pilate had decided to release him. You rejected the Holy and Just One, and you insisted that a murderer be released to you. You killed the Master of life, but God raised him from the dead and we are witnesses to this. It is his Name, and faith in his Name, that has healed this man whom you see and recognize. The faith which comes through Jesus has given him wholeness in the presence of all of you. Yet I know that you acted out of ignorance, as did your leaders. God has fulfilled in this way what he had foretold thorugh all the prophets, that his Messiah would suffer. Repent, then, and turn to God so that your sins may be wiped out.

Second Reading (1 John 2: 1-5)
A reading from the first letter of Saint John.
My little children, I write to you that you may not sin. But if anyone sins, we have an intercessor with the Father, Jesus Christ, the Just One. He is the sacrificial victim for our sins and the sins of the whole world. How can we know that we know him? If we fulfill his commands. If you state, "I know him," but do not fulfill his commands, you are a liar and the truth is not in you. But you keep his word, God's love is made complete in you. This is how we know that we are in him.

Gospel (Luke 24: 35-48)
A reading from the holy Gospel according to Luke.
Then the two told what had happened on the road and how Jesus made himself known when he broke bread with them. As they went on talking about this, Jesus himself stood in their midst. And he stated to them, "Peace to you." In their panic and fright they thought they were seeing a ghost, but he stated to them, "Why are you upset and why do such ideas cross your mind? Look at my hands and feet and see that it is I myself. Touch me and see for yourselves that a ghost has no flesh and bones as I have." As he stated this, he showed his hands and feet. In their joy they did not dare to believe and were still astonished. So he stated to them, "Have you anything to eat?" and they gave him a piece of broiled fish. He took it and ate it before them. Then Jesus stated to them, "Remember the words I spoke to you when I was still with you: Everything written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms had to be fulfilled. Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures. And he went on, "You see what was written: the Messiah had to suffer, and on the third day he rose from the dead. Then repentance and forgiveness in his name would be proclaimed to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem. Now you shall be witness to this."

1 comment:

  1. Responsorial Psalm (Psalm 4) (Verses 2, 4, and 7-9)
    The response is: Lord, let your face shine on us.

    Answer when I call, O God, my justice! When I was in distress, you gave me solace. Have compassion on me and hear my plea.

    But you must know that the Lord has shown his kindness to him. When I call to him, he hears me. Many ask, "Who will give us a happy time? Would that his favor shine upon us!"

    You, O Lord, have put joy in my heart; more than by giving me wine and food. I lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me feel safe and secure.

    ReplyDelete

English: Do you have any comments or questions on this reading? Add your comment or question here.
Español: ¿Tienes cualquier comentarios o preguntas en esta lectura? Añade tu comentario o pregunta aquí.
Bahasa Indonesia: Ada komentar atau pertanyaan untuk bacaan ini? Mengatakan komentar Anda atau pertanyaan disini.
日本語:この読み物にコメントや質問がありますか?コメントや質問、書いて下さい。