Sunday, August 9, 2009

19th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Date: August 9, 2009

First Reading (1 Kings 19: 4-8)
A reading from the first book of Kings.
Elijah entered the desert going on a day's journey. Then he sat down under a broom tree and prayed to die, "This is enough, O Lord; take away my life, for I am dying." He lay down and went to sleep under the broom tree. Then an angel touched him and stated, "Get up and eat." Elijah looked and saw on his head, a cake baked on hot stones and a jar of water. He ate, drank, and then drifted back to sleep. The angel came a second time to him, saying, "Get up and eat, for the journey is too long for you." He got up, ate, drank, and on the strength of that food, Elijah traveled for forty days and forty nights to Horeb, the mountain of God.

Second Reading (Ephesians 4:30 - 5:2)
A reading from the letter of Saint Paul to the Ephesians.
Brothers and sisters: Do not sadden the Holy Spirit of God which you were marked with. It will be your distinctive mark on the day of salvation. Do away with all quarreling, rage, anger, insults, and every kind of malice: be good and understanding, mutually forgiving one another as God forgave you in Christ. As most beloved children of God, strive to imitate him. Follow the ways of love, the example of Christ who loved you. He gave himself up for us and became the offering and sacrificial victim whose fragrance rises to God.

Gospel (John 6: 41-51)
A reading from the holy Gospel according to John.
The Jews discussed with themselves because Jesus stated, "I am the bread which comes from heaven." And they stated, "This man is the son of Joseph, is he not? We know his father and mother, but how can he say that he has come down from heaven?" Jesus answered them, "Do not murmur among yourselves. No one can come to me unless he is drawn by the Father who sent me; and I will raise him up on the last day. It has been written in the Prophets: They shall be taught by God. So whoever listens and learns from the Father comes to me. For no one has seen the Father except the One who comes from God; he has seen the Father. Truly, I say to you, whoever believes, has eternal life. I am the bread of life. Though your ancestors ate the manna in the desert, they died. But here you have the bread which comes from heaven so that you may eat it and not die. I am the living bread which has come from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever. The bread I shall give is my flesh and I will give it for the life of the world."

1 comment:

  1. Responsorial Psalm (Psalm 34) (Verses 2-9)
    The response is: Taste and see the goodness of the Lord.

    I will bless the Lord all my days; his praise will be ever on my lips. My soul makes its boast in the Lord; let the lowly hear and rejoice.

    Oh, let us magnify the Lord, together let us glorify his name! I sought the Lord, and he answered me; from all my fears he delivered me.

    They who look to him are radiant with joy, their faces never clouded with shame. When the poor cry out, the Lord hears and rescues them from distress.

    The Lord's angel encamps and patrols to keep safe those who fear him. Oh, taste and see the goodness of the Lord. Blessed is the one who finds shelter in him.

    ReplyDelete

English: Do you have any comments or questions on this reading? Add your comment or question here.
Español: ¿Tienes cualquier comentarios o preguntas en esta lectura? Añade tu comentario o pregunta aquí.
Bahasa Indonesia: Ada komentar atau pertanyaan untuk bacaan ini? Mengatakan komentar Anda atau pertanyaan disini.
日本語:この読み物にコメントや質問がありますか?コメントや質問、書いて下さい。