Saturday, March 23, 2019

3rd Sunday of Lent

Date: March 24, 2019


New American Bible readings
Year C readings
First reading (Exodus 3: 1–8a and 13–15)
A reading from the book of Exodus.
Moses was tending the flock of his father-in-law Jethro, the priest of Midian. Leading the flock across the desert, he came to Horeb, the mountain of God. There an angel of the LORD appeared to Moses in fire flaming out of a bush. As he looked on, he was surprised to see that the bush, though on fire, was not consumed. So Moses decided, “I must go over to look at this remarkable sight, and see why the bush is not burned.” When the LORD saw him coming over to look at it more closely, God called out to him from the bush, "Moses! Moses!” He answered, “Here I am.” God said, “Come no nearer! Remove the sandals from your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground. I am the God of your fathers, “ he continued, “the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob.” Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look at God. But the LORD said, “I have witnessed the affliction of my people in Egypt and have heard their cry of complaint against their slave drivers, so I know well what they are suffering. Therefore I have come down to rescue them from the hands of the Egyptians and lead them out of that land into a good and spacious land, a land flowing with milk and honey.” Moses said to God, “But when I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ if they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ what am I to tell them?” God replied, “I am who am.” Then he added, “This is what you shall tell the Israelites: I AM sent me to you.” God spoke further to Moses, “Thus shall you say to the Israelites: The LORD, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. “This is my name forever; thus am I to be remembered through all generations.”

Second reading (1 Corinthians 10: 1–6 and 10–12)
A reading from the first letter of Saint Paul to the Corinthians.
I do not want you to be unaware, brothers and sisters, that our ancestors were all under the cloud and all passed through the sea, and all of them were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea. All ate the same spiritual food, and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they drank from a spiritual rock that followed them, and the rock was the Christ. Yet God was not pleased with most of them, for they were struck down in the desert. These things happened as examples for us, so that we might not desire evil things, as they did. Do not grumble as some of them did, and suffered death by the destroyer. These things happened to them as an example, and they have been written down as a warning to us, upon whom the end of the ages has come. Therefore, whoever thinks he is standing secure should take care not to fall.

Gospel (Luke 13: 1–9)
A reading from the holy Gospel according to Luke.
Some people told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with the blood of their sacrifices. Jesus said to them in reply, "Do you think that because these Galileans suffered in this way they were greater sinners than all other Galileans? By no means! But I tell you, if you do not repent, you will all perish as they did! Or those eighteen people who were killed when the tower at Siloam fell on them—do you think they were more guilty than everyone else who lived in Jerusalem? By no means! But I tell you, if you do not repent, you will all perish as they did!" And he told them this parable: "There once was a person who had a fig tree planted in his orchard, and when he came in search of fruit on it but found none, he said to the gardener, 'For three years now I have come in search of fruit on this fig tree but have found none. So cut it down. Why should it exhaust the soil?' He said to him in reply, 'Sir, leave it for this year also, and I shall cultivate the ground around it and fertilize it; it may bear fruit in the future. If not you can cut it down.'"


Year A readings (if Year C is not followed)
First reading (Exodus 17: 3–7)
A reading from the book of Exodus.
In those days, in their thirst for water, the people grumbled against Moses, saying, "Why did you ever make us leave Egypt? Was it just to have us die here of thirst with our children and our livestock?" So Moses cried out to the LORD, "What shall I do with this people? A little more and they will stone me!" The LORD answered Moses, "Go over there in front of the people, along with some of the elders of Israel, holding in your hand, as you go, the staff with which you struck the river. I will be standing there in front of you on the rock in Horeb. Strike the rock, and the water will flow from it for the people to drink." This Moses did, in the presence of the elders of Israel. The place was called Massah and Meribah, because the Israelites quarreled there and tested the LORD, saying, "Is the LORD in our midst or not?"

Second reading (Romans 5: 1–2 and 5–8)
A reading from the letter of Saint Paul to the Romans.
Brothers and sisters: Since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith to this grace in which we stand, and we boast in hope of the glory of God. And hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. For Christ, while we were still helpless, died at the appointed time for the ungodly. Indeed, only with difficulty does one die for a just person, though perhaps for a good person one might even find the courage to die. But God proves his love for us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us.

Gospel (John 4: 5–42)
A reading from the holy Gospel according to John.
Jesus came to a town of Samaria called Sychar,  near the plot of land that Jacob had given to his son Joseph. Jacob's well was there. Jesus, tired from his journey, sat down there at the well. It was about noon. A woman of Samaria came to draw water. Jesus said to her, "Give me a drink." His disciples had gone into the town to buy food. The Samaritan woman said to him, "How can you, a Jew, ask me, a Samaritan woman, for a drink?"—For Jews use nothing in common with Samaritans.—Jesus answered and said to her, "If you knew the gift of God and who is saying to you, 'Give me a drink,' you would have asked him and he would have given you living water." The woman said to him, "Sir, you do not even have a bucket and the cistern is deep; where then can you get this living water? Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us this cistern and drank from it himself with his children and his flocks?" Jesus answered and said to her, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again; but whoever drinks the water I shall give will never thirst; the water I shall give will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." The woman said to him, "Sir, give me this water, so that I may not be thirsty or have to keep coming here to draw water." Jesus said to her, "Go call your husband and come back." The woman answered and said to him, "I do not have a husband." Jesus answered her, "You are right in saying, 'I do not have a husband.' For you have had five husbands, and the one you have now is not your husband. What you have said is true." The woman said to him, "Sir, I can see that you are a prophet. Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain; but you people say that the place to worship is in Jerusalem." Jesus said to her, "Believe me, woman, the hour is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. You people worship what you do not understand; we worship what we understand, because salvation is from the Jews. But the hour is coming, and is now here, when true worshipers will worship the Father in Spirit and truth; and indeed the Father seeks such people to worship him. God is Spirit, and those who worship him must worship in Spirit and truth." The woman said to him, "I know that the Messiah is coming, the one called the Christ; when he comes, he will tell us everything." Jesus said to her, "I am he, the one speaking with you." At that moment his disciples returned, and were amazed that he was talking with a woman, but still no one said, "What are you looking for?" or "Why are you talking with her?" The woman left her water jar and went into the town and said to the people, "Come see a man who told me everything I have done. Could he possibly be the Christ?" They went out of the town and came to him. Meanwhile, the disciples urged him, "Rabbi, eat." But he said to them, "I have food to eat of which you do not know." So the disciples said to one another, "Could someone have brought him something to eat?" Jesus said to them, "My food is to do the will of the one who sent me and to finish his work. Do you not say, 'In four months the harvest will be here'? I tell you, look up and see the fields ripe for the harvest. The reaper is already receiving payment and gathering crops for eternal life, so that the sower and reaper can rejoice together. For here the saying is verified that 'One sows and another reaps.' I sent you to reap what you have not worked for; others have done the work, and you are sharing the fruits of their work." Many of the Samaritans of that town began to believe in him because of the word of the woman who testified, "He told me everything I have done." When the Samaritans came to him, they invited him to stay with them; and he stayed there two days. Many more began to believe in him because of his word, and they said to the woman, "We no longer believe because of your word; for we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this is truly the savior of the world."


Catholic Pastoral Edition Bible readings
Year C readings
First reading (Exodus 3: 1–8a and 13–15)
A reading from the book of Exodus.
Moses pastured the sheep of Jethro, his father-in-law, priest of Midian. One day he led the flock to the far side of the desert and came to Horeb, the Mountain of God. The Angel of the Lord appeared to Moses by means of a flame of fire in the middle of a bush. Moses saw that although the bush was on fire, it did not burn up. Moses thought, "I will go and see this amazing sight, why is the bush not burning up?" The Lord saw that Moses drawing near to look, and God called to him from the middle of the bush, "Moses! Moses!" He replied, "Here I am." The Lord stated to him, "Do not come near, take off your sandals because the place where you are standing is holy ground." And God continued, "I am the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob." Moses hid his face lest his eyes look on God. The Lord stated, "I have seen the humiliation of my people in Egypt and I hear their cry when they are cruelly treated by their taskmasters. I know their suffering. I have come down to free them from the power of the Egyptians and to bring them up from that land to a beautiful spacious land, a land flowing with milk and honey. Moses answered God, "If I go to the Israelites and say to them: 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' they will ask me: 'What is his name?' What shall I answer them?" God stated to Moses, "I AM WHO AM. This is what you will say to the sons of Israel: 'I AM sent me to you.'" God then stated to Moses, "You will say to the Israelites: 'The LORD, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me.' That will be my name forever, and by this name, they shall call upon me for all generations to come."

Second reading (1 Corinthians 10: 1–6 and 10–12)
A reading from the first letter of Saint Paul to the Corinthians.
Let me remind you, brothers and sisters, about our ancestors. All of them were under the cloud and all crossed the sea. All underwent the baptism of the land and of the sea to join Moses, and all of them ate from the same spiritual food, and all of them drank from the same spiritual drink. For you know that they drank from a spiritual rock following them, and the rock was Christ. However, most of them did not please God, and the desert was strewn with their bodies. All of this happened as an example for us, so that we might not become people of evil desires, as they did. Do not grumble as some of them did and were cut down by the destroying angel. These things happened to them as an example, and they were written as a warning for us, as the last times come upon us. Therefore, if you think you stand, beware, lest you fall.

Gospel (Luke 13: 1–9)
A reading from the holy Gospel according to Luke.
One day some people told Jesus what had occurred in the Temple: Pilate had Galileans killed and their blood mingled with the blood of their sacrifices. Jesus replied, "Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered this? I tell you: no. But unless you change your ways, you will all perish as they did. And those eighteen people in Siloah who were crushed when the tower fell, do you think they were more guilty than all the others in Jerusalem? I tell you: no. But unless you change your ways, you will all perish as they did." And Jesus continued with this story, "A man had a fig tree growing in his vineyard and he came looking for fruit on it, but found none. Then he stated to the gardener: 'Look here, for three years now I have been looking for figs on this tree and I have found none. Cut it down, why should it use up the ground?' The gardener replied: 'Leave it one more year, so that I may dig around it and add some fertilizer; and perhaps it will bear fruit from now on. But if it does not, you can cut it down.'"


Year A readings (if Year C is not followed)
First reading (Exodus 17: 3–7)
A reading from the book of Exodus.
The people thirsted for water there and grumbled against Moses, "Why did you make us leave Egypt to have us die of thirst with our children and our cattle?" So Moses stated to the Lord, "What shall I do with the people? They are almost ready to stone me!" The Lord stated to Moses, "Go ahead of the people and take with you the elders of Israel. Take with you the staff with which you struck the Nile, and go. I will stand there before you on the rock of Horeb. You will strike the rock and water will flow from it and the people will drink." Moses did this in the presence of the elders of Israel. The place was called Massah and Meribah because of the complaints of the Israelites, who tested the Lord stating, "Is the Lord with us or not?"

Second reading (Romans 5: 1–2 and 5–8)

A reading from the letter of Saint Paul to the Romans.
Brothers and sisters: By faith, we have received true righteousness, and we are at peace with God, through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Through him, we obtain this favor in which we remain and we even boast to expect the Glory of God. Hope does not disappoint us because the Holy Spirit has been given to us, pouring into our hearts the love of God. Consider, moreover, the time that Christ died for us: when we were still sinners and unable to do anything. Few would accept to die for an upright person, perhaps someone would dare to die. But see how God manifested his love for us: while we were still sinners, Christ has died for us.

Gospel (John 4: 5–42)
A reading from the holy Gospel according to John.

Jesus came to a Samaritan town called Sychar, near the land that Jacob had given to his son Joseph. Jacob's well is there. Tired from his journey, Jesus sat down by the well; it was about noon. Now a Samaritan woman came to draw water and Jesus stated to her, "Give me a drink." His disciples had just gone into town to buy some food. The Samaritan woman stated to him, "How is it that you, a Jew, ask me, a Samaritan and a woman, for a drink?" (For Jews, in fact, have no dealings with Samaritans.) Jesus replied, "If you only knew the Gift of God! If you knew who it is that asks you for a drink, you yourself would have asked me and I would have given you living water." The woman answered, "Sir, you have no bucket and this well is deep; where is your living water? Are you greater than our ancestor Jacob, who gave us this well after he drank from it himself, together with his sons and his cattle?" Jesus stated to her, "Those who drink of this water will be thirsty again, but those who drink of the water that I shall give will never be thirsty; for the water that I shall give will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life." The woman stated to him, "Give me this water, that I may never be thirsty and never have to come here to draw water." Jesus stated, "Go, call your husband and come back here." The woman answered, "I have no husband." And Jesus replied, "You are right to say: 'I have no husband': for you have had five husbands and the one you have now is not your husband. What you stated is true." The woman then stated to him, "I see you are a prophet; tell me this: Our fathers used to come to this mountain to worship God; but you Jews, do you not claim that Jerusalem is the only place to worship God?" Jesus stated to her, "Believe me, woman, the hour is coming when you shall worship the Father, but that will not be on this mountain or in Jerusalem. You Samaritans worship without knowledge, while we Jews worship with knowledge, for salvation comes from the Jews. But the hour is coming and is even now here when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for that is the kind of worshipers the Father wants. God is spirit and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth." The woman stated to him, "I know that the Messiah, that is the Christ, is coming; when he comes, he will tell us everything." And Jesus stated, "I am he who is talking to you." At this point the disciples returned and were surprised that Jesus was speaking with a woman; however, no one stated, "What do you want?" or: "Why are you talking with her?" So the woman left her water jar and ran to the town. There she stated to the people, "Come and see a man who told me everything I did! Could he not be the Christ?" So they left the town and went to meet him. In the meantime, the disciples urged Jesus, "Master, eat." But he stated to them, "I have food to eat that you do not know about." And the disciples wondered, "Has anyone brought him food?" Jesus stated to them, "My food is to do the will of the One who sent me and to carry out his work. You say that in four more months it will be the harvest; now, I say to you, look up and see the fields white and ready for harvesting. People who reap the harvest are paid for their work and the fruit is gathered for eternal life, so that sower and reaper may rejoice together. Indeed the saying holds true: 'One sow and another reaps.' I sent you to reap where you did not work or suffer: others have worked and you are now sharing in their labors." In that town, many Samaritans believed in him when they heard the woman who declared, "He told me everything I did." So, when they came to him, they asked him to stay with them and Jesus stayed there for two days. After that many more believed because of his own words and they stated to the woman, "We no longer believe because of what you told us; for we have heard for ourselves and we know that this is the Savior of the world."

31 comments:

  1. Responsorial Psalm (Psalm 103) (Verses 1–4, 6–8, and 11)
    The response is: The Lord is kind and merciful.

    Bless the LORD, O my soul; and all my being, bless his holy name. Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits.

    He pardons all your iniquities, heals all your ills, he redeems your life from destruction, crowns you with kindness and compassion.

    The LORD secures justice and the rights of all the oppressed. He has made known his ways to Moses, and his deeds to the children of Israel.

    Merciful and gracious is the LORD, slow to anger and abounding in kindness. For as the heavens are high above the earth, so surpassing is his kindness toward those who fear him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Repent, says the Lord; the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Responsorial Psalm (Psalm 103) (Verses 1–4, 6–8, and 11)
    The response is: The Lord is kind and merciful.

    Bless the Lord, my soul; all my being, bless his holy name! Bless the Lord, my soul; and do not forget his kindness.

    He forgives all your sins and heals all your sicknesses; he redeems your life from destruction and crowns you with love and compassion.

    The Lord restores justice and secures the rights of the oppressed. He has made know his ways to Moses and his deeds to the people of Israel.

    The Lord is gracious and merciful, abounding in love and slow to anger. As the heavens are high above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This responsorial psalm is taken from the Catholic Pastoral Edition Bible.

      Delete
    2. This responsorial psalm is recited for readings of Year C.

      Delete
  4. Responsorial Psalm (Psalm 95) (Verses 1–2 and 6–9)
    The response is: If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

    Come, let us sing joyfully to the LORD; let us acclaim the Rock of our salvation. Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us joyfully sing psalms to him.

    Come, let us bow down in worship; let us kneel before the LORD who made us. For he is our God, and we are the people he shepherds, the flock he guides.

    Oh, that today you would hear his voice: "Harden not your hearts as at Meribah, as in the day of Massah in the desert, where your fathers tempted me; they tested me though they had seen my works."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Responsorial Psalm (Psalm 95) (Verses 1–2 and 6–9)
    The response is: If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

    Come, let us sing to the Lord, let us make a joyful sound to the Rock of our salvation. Let us come before him giving thanks, with music and songs of praise.

    Come and worship; let us bow down, kneel before the Lord, our Maker. He is our God, and we are his people; the flock he leads and pastures.

    Would that today you heard his voice! Do not be stubborn, as at Meribah, in the desert, on that day at Massah, when your ancestors challenged me, and they put me to the test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This responsorial psalm is taken from the Catholic Pastoral Edition Bible.

      Delete
    2. This responsorial psalm is recited for readings of Year A.

      Delete
  6. Lord, you are truly the Savior of the world; give me living water, that I may never thirst again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Primera lectura (Éxodo 3: 1–8a y 13–15)
    Una lectura del libro de Éxodo.
    Moisés cuidaba las ovejas de Jetró, su suegro, sacerdote de Madián. Una vez llevó las ovejas muy lejos en el desierto y llegó al Horeb, el Cerro de Dios. Entonces fue cuando el Angel de Yahvé se presentó a él, como una llama ardiente en medio de una zarza. Moisés estuvo observando: la zarza ardía, pero no se consumía. Y se dijo: “Voy a dar una vuelta para mirar este fenómeno tan extraordinario: ¿Por qué la zarza no se consume?” Yahvé vio que Moisés se acercaba para mirar; Dios lo llamó de en medio de la zarza: “¡Moisés, Moisés!”, y él respondió: “Aquí estoy.” Yahvé le dijo: “No te acerques más. Sácate tus sandalias porque el lugar que pisas es tierra sagrada.” Luego le dijo: “Yo soy el Dios de tus padres, el Dios de Abraham, el Dios de Isaac y el Dios de Jacob.” Al instante Moisés se tapó la cara, porque tuvo miedo de que su mirada se fijara sobre Dios. Yahvé dijo: “He visto la humillación de mi pueblo en Egipto, y he oído sus quejas cuando lo maltrataban sus mayordomos. Me he fijado en sus sufrimientos, y he bajado, para librarlo del poder de los egipcios y para hacerlo subir de aquí a un país grande y fértil, a una tierra que mana leche y miel. Moisés contestó a Dios: “Si voy a los hijos de Israel y les digo que el Dios de sus padres me envía a ellos, si me preguntan: ¿Cuál es su nombre?, yo ¿qué les voy a responder?” Dios dijo a Moisés: “Yo soy: YO-SOY.” “Así dirás al pueblo de Israel: YO-SOY me ha enviado a ustedes. Y también les dirás: YAHVÉ, el Dios de sus padres, el Dios de Abrahán, el Dios de Isaac y el Dios de Jacob, me ha enviado. Este será mi nombre para siempre, y con este nombre me invocarán de generación en generación.”

    Salmo responsivo (Salmo 103) (Versículo 1–4, 6–8, y 11)
    La respuesta es: El Señor es simpático y misericordioso.
    — Bendice al Señor, alma mía, que todo mi ser bendiga a su santo Nombre; bendice al Señor, alma mía, y nunca olvides sus beneficios.
    — Él perdona todas tus culpas y cura todas tus dolencias; rescata tu vida del sepulcro, te corona de amor y de ternura.
    — El Señor hace obras de justicia y otorga el derecho a los oprimidos; él mostró sus caminos a Moisés y sus proezas al pueblo de Israel.
    — El Señor es bondadoso y compasivo, lento para enojarse y de gran misericordia. Cuanto se alza el cielo sobre la tierra, así de inmenso es su amor por los que lo temen.

    Segunda lectura (1 Corintios 10: 1–6 y 10–12)
    Una lectura de la primera carta de San Pablo a los corintios.
    Porque no deben ignorar, hermanos, que todos nuestros padres fueron guiados por la nube y todos atravesaron el mar; y para todos, la marcha bajo la nube y el paso del mar, fue un bautismo que los unió a Moisés. También todos comieron la misma comida y bebieron la misma bebida espiritual. En efecto, bebían el agua de una roca espiritual que los acompañaba, y esa roca era Cristo. A pesar de esto, muy pocos de ellos fueron agradables a Dios, porque sus cuerpos quedaron tendidos en el desierto. Todo esto aconteció simbólicamente para ejemplo nuestro, a fin de que no nos dejemos arrastrar por los malos deseos, como lo hicieron nuestros padres. No provoquemos al Señor, como hicieron algunos de ellos, y perecieron víctimas de las serpientes. Todo esto les sucedió simbólicamente, y está escrito para que nos sirva de lección a los que vivimos en el tiempo final. Por eso, el que se cree muy seguro, ¡cuídese de no caer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evangelio (Lucas 13: 1–9)
      Una lectura del Evangelio Santo según el San Lucas.
      En ese momento se presentaron unas personas que comentaron a Jesús el caso de aquellos galileos, cuya sangre Pilato mezcló con la de las víctimas de sus sacrificios. Él respondió: “¿Creen ustedes que esos galileos sufrieron todo esto porque eran más pecadores que los demás? Les aseguro que no, y si ustedes no se convierten, todos acabarán de la misma manera. ¿O creen que las dieciocho personas que murieron cuando se desplomó la torre de Siloé, eran más culpables que los demás habitantes de Jerusalén? Les aseguro que no, y si ustedes no se convierten, todos acabarán de la misma manera”. Les dijo también esta parábola: “Un hombre tenía una higuera plantada en su viña. Fue a buscar frutos, pero no encontró nada. Dijo entonces al viñador: "Hace tres años que vengo a buscar frutos en esta higuera y no encuentro nada. Córtala, ¿para qué malgastar la tierra?". Pero él respondió: "Señor, déjala todavía este año; yo removeré la tierra alrededor de ella y la abonaré. Puede ser que así dé frutos en adelante. Si no, la cortarás”.

      Delete
  8. Primera lectura (Éxodo 17: 3–7)
    Una lectura del libro del Éxodo.
    Allí el pueblo, atormentado por la sed, murmuró contra Moisés: “¿Por qué nos has hecho salir de Egipto? ¿Para que ahora muramos de sed con nuestros hijos y nuestros animales?” Entonces Moisés llamó a Yahvé y le dijo: “¿Qué puedo hacer con este pueblo? Por poco me apedrean.” Yahvé respondió a Moisés: “Preséntate al pueblo, lleva contigo algunos jefes de Israel, lleva también en tu mano el bastón con que golpeaste el río Nilo. Yo estaré allá delante de ti, sobre la roca. Golpearás la roca y de ella saldrá agua, y el pueblo tendrá para beber.” Moisés lo hizo así, en presencia de los jefes de Israel. Aquel lugar se llamó Masá (o sea, tentación) y Meribá (o sea, quejas), a causa de las quejas de los israelitas que allí tentaron a Yahvé, diciendo: “¿Está Yahvé en medio de nosotros o no?”

    Salmo responsorial (Salmo 95) (Versículos 1–2 y 6–9)
    La respuesta es: Si hoy no oyes su voz, no endurezcas tu corazón.
    • ¡Vengan, cantemos con júbilo al Señor, aclamemos a la Roca que nos salva! ¡Lleguemos hasta él dándole gracias, aclamemos con música al Señor!
    • ¡Entren, inclinémonos para adorarlo! ¡Doblemos la rodilla ante el Señor que nos creó! Porque él es nuestro Dios, y nosotros, el pueblo que él apacienta, las ovejas conducidas por su mano.
    • Ojalá hoy escuchen la voz del Señor: No endurezcan su corazón como en Meribá, como en el día de Masá, en el desierto, cuando sus padres me tentaron y provocaron, aunque habían visto mis obras.

    Segunda lectura (Romanos 5: 1–2 y 5–8)
    Una lectura de la carta de San Pablo a los romanos.
    Justificados, entonces, por la fe, estamos en paz con Dios, por medio de nuestro Señor Jesucristo. Por él hemos alcanzado, mediante la fe, la gracia en la que estamos afianzados, y por él nos gloriamos en la esperanza de la gloria de Dios. Y la esperanza no quedará defraudada, porque el amor de Dios ha sido derramado en nuestros corazones por el Espíritu Santo, que nos ha sido dado. En efecto, cuando todavía éramos débiles, Cristo, en el tiempo señalado, murió por los pecadores. Difícilmente se encuentra alguien que dé su vida por un hombre justo; tal vez alguno sea capaz de morir por un bienhechor. Pero la prueba de que Dios nos ama es que Cristo murió por nosotros cuando todavía éramos pecadores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evangelio (Juan 4: 5–42)
      Una lectura del Evangelio Santo según el San Juan.
      Llegó a una ciudad de Samaria llamada Sicar, cerca de las tierras que Jacob había dado a su hijo José. Allí se encuentra el pozo de Jacob. Jesús, fatigado del camino, se había sentado junto al pozo. Era la hora del mediodía. Una mujer de Samaria fue a sacar agua, y Jesús le dijo: “Dame de beber.” Sus discípulos habían ido a la ciudad a comprar alimentos. La samaritana le respondió: “¡Cómo! ¿Tú, que eres judío, me pides de beber a mí, que soy samaritana?” Los judíos, en efecto, no se trataban con los samaritanos. Jesús le respondió: “Si conocieras el don de Dios y quién es el que te dice: “Dame de beber”, tú misma se lo hubieras pedido, y él te habría dado agua viva.” “Señor, le dijo ella, no tienes nada para sacar el agua y el pozo es profundo. ¿De dónde sacas esa agua viva? ¿Eres acaso más grande que nuestro padre Jacob, que nos ha dado este pozo, donde él bebió, lo mismo que sus hijos y sus animales?” Jesús le respondió: “El que beba de esta agua tendrá nuevamente sed, pero el que beba del agua que yo le daré, nunca más volverá a tener sed. El agua que yo le daré se convertirá en él en manantial que brotará hasta la Vida eterna.” “Señor, le dijo la mujer, dame de esa agua para que no tenga más sed y no necesite venir hasta aquí a sacarla.” Jesús le respondió: “Ve, llama a tu marido y vuelve aquí.” La mujer respondió: “No tengo marido.” Jesús continuó: “Tienes razón al decir que no tienes marido, porque has tenido cinco y el que ahora tienes no es tu marido; en eso has dicho la verdad.” La mujer le dijo: “Señor, veo que eres un profeta. Nuestros padres adoraron en esta montaña, y ustedes dicen que es en Jerusalén donde se debe adorar.” Jesús le respondió: “Créeme, mujer, llega la hora en que ni en esta montaña ni en Jerusalén se adorará al Padre. Ustedes adoran lo que no conocen; nosotros adoramos lo que conocemos, porque la salvación viene de los judíos. Pero la hora se acerca, y ya ha llegado, en que los verdaderos adoradores adorarán al Padre en espíritu y en verdad, porque esos son los adoradores que quiere el Padre. Dios es espíritu, y los que lo adoran deben hacerlo en espíritu y en verdad.” La mujer le dijo: “Yo sé que el Mesías, llamado Cristo, debe venir. Cuando él venga, nos anunciará todo.” Jesús le respondió: “Soy yo, el que habla contigo.” En ese momento llegaron sus discípulos y quedaron sorprendidos al verlo hablar con una mujer. Sin embargo, ninguno le preguntó: “¿Qué quieres de ella?” o “¿Por qué hablas con ella?” La mujer, dejando allí su cántaro, corrió a la ciudad y dijo a la gente: “Vengan a ver a un hombre que me ha dicho todo lo que hice. ¿No será el Mesías?” Salieron entonces de la ciudad y fueron a su encuentro. Mientras tanto, los discípulos le insistían a Jesús, diciendo: “Come, Maestro.” Pero él les dijo: “Yo tengo para comer un alimento que ustedes no conocen.” Los discípulos se preguntaban entre sí: “¿Alguien le habrá traído de comer?” Jesús les respondió: “Mi comida es hacer la voluntad de aquel que me envió y llevar a cabo su obra. Ustedes dicen que aún faltan cuatro meses para la cosecha. Pero yo les digo: Levanten los ojos y miren los campos: ya están madurando para la siega. Ya el segador recibe su salario y recoge el grano para la Vida eterna; así el que siembra y el que cosecha comparten una misma alegría. Porque en esto se cumple el proverbio: “Uno siembra y otro cosecha.” Yo los envié a cosechar adonde ustedes no han trabajado; otros han trabajado, y ustedes recogen el fruto de sus esfuerzos.” Muchos samaritanos de esta ciudad habían creído en él por la palabra de la mujer, que atestiguaba: “Me ha dicho todo lo que hice.” Por eso, cuando los samaritanos se acercaron a Jesús, le rogaban que se quedara con ellos, y él permaneció allí dos días. Muchos más creyeron en él, a causa de su palabra. Y decían a la mujer: “Ya no creemos por lo que tú has dicho; nosotros mismos lo hemos oído y sabemos que él es verdaderamente el Salvador del mundo.”

      Delete
  9. Unang pagbabasa (Exodo 3: 1–8A at 13–15)
    Ang pagbabasa sa aklat ni Exodo.
    Samantala, habang nagpapastol si Moises ng kawan ng biyenan niyang si Jetro na pari sa Midian, itinawid niya ang kawan sa gawing kanluran ng disyerto at nakarating siya sa Sinai, ang Bundok ng Diyos. Doon, ang anghel ni Yahweh ay nagpakita sa kanya na parang apoy na nagmumula sa gitna ng isang mababang punongkahoy. Kitang-kita ni Moises na nagliliyab ang puno ngunit hindi nasusunog. Kaya't nasabi niya sa kanyang sarili, “Nakakapagtaka naman ito! Titingnan ko ngang mabuti kung bakit hindi iyon natutupok gayong nagliliyab.” Nang lalapit na si Moises, tinawag siya ni Yahweh buhat sa nagliliyab na punongkahoy, “Moises, Moises.” “Ano po iyon?” sagot niya. Sinabi ng Diyos, “Huwag kang lumapit. Hubarin mo ang iyong sandalyas sapagkat banal na lugar ang kinatatayuan mo. Ako ang Diyos na sinamba ng iyong mga ninuno, ang Diyos ni Abraham, ni Isaac at ni Jacob.” Tinakpan ni Moises ang kanyang mukha sapagkat natatakot siyang tumingin sa Diyos. Sinabi sa kanya ni Yahweh, “Nakita kong labis na pinahihirapan ng mga Egipcio ang aking bayan. Alam ko ang hirap na kanilang tinitiis at narinig ko ang kanilang pagdaing. Kaya't bumaba ako upang sila'y iligtas, ilabas sa Egipto at ihatid sa lupaing mainam, malawak, mayaman, at sagana sa lahat ng bagay. Sinabi ni Moises, “Pupunta ako sa mga Israelita at sasabihin sa kanilang ako'y sinugo ng Diyos ng aming ninuno. Ngunit ano po ang sasabihin ko kung itanong nila kung sino ang nagsugo sa akin?” Sinabi ng Diyos, “Ako'y si Ako Nga. Sabihin mo sa mga Israelita na sinugo ka ng Diyos na ang pangalan ay ‘Ako Nga’. Sabihin mo sa kanila na sinugo ka ni Yahweh, ng Diyos ng inyong mga ninuno, ang Diyos nina Abraham, Isaac at Jacob. At ito ang pangalang itatawag nila sa akin magpakailanman.

    Pangalawang pagbabasa (1 Corinto 10: 1–6 at 10–12)
    Ang pagbabasa sa unang sulat ni San Pablo sa mga taga-Corinto.
    Mga kapatid, nais kong malaman ninyo ang nangyari sa ating mga ninuno noong panahon ni Moises. Silang lahat ay naliliman ng ulap sa kanilang paglalakbay at sa pagtawid sa Dagat na Pula. Sa gayon, nabautismuhan silang lahat sa ulap at sa dagat bilang mga tagasunod ni Moises. Kumain silang lahat ng iisang pagkaing espirituwal, at uminom din ng iisang inuming espirituwal, sapagkat uminom sila sa batong espirituwal na sumubaybay sa kanila, at ang batong iyon ay si Cristo. Gayunman, hindi kinalugdan ng Diyos ang marami sa kanila, kaya't nagkalat ang kanilang mga bangkay sa ilang. Ang lahat ng mga nangyaring iyon ay babala sa atin upang huwag tayong maghangad ng masasamang bagay, gaya ng ginawa nila.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ebanghelyo (Lucas 13: 1–9)
      Ang magandang balita ayon kay San Lucas.
      Dumating noon ang ilang tao at ibinalita kay Jesus na ipinapatay ni Pilato ang ilang mga taga-Galilea habang ang mga ito'y naghahandog sa Diyos. Sinabi niya sa kanila, “Akala ba ninyo, dahil sa sinapit nilang iyon, higit silang masama kaysa sa ibang mga taga-Galilea? Hindi! Ngunit sinasabi ko sa inyo, malibang magsisi kayo't talikuran ang inyong mga kasalanan, mapapahamak din kayong tulad nila. At ang labingwalong namatay nang mabagsakan ng tore sa Siloe, sa akala ba ninyo'y higit silang makasalanan kaysa sa ibang naninirahan sa Jerusalem? Hindi! Ngunit sinasabi ko sa inyo, malibang magsisi kayo't talikuran ang inyong mga kasalanan, mapapahamak din kayong tulad nila.” Sinabi pa sa kanila ni Jesus ang talinghagang ito. “May isang taong may tanim na puno ng igos sa kanyang ubasan. Minsan, tiningnan niya kung may bunga ang puno, ngunit wala siyang nakita. Dahil dito, sinabi niya sa tagapag-alaga ng ubasan, ‘Tatlong taon na akong pumaparito at naghahanap ng bunga sa punong ito, ngunit wala akong makita. Putulin mo na't nakakasikip lang iyan!’ Ngunit sumagot ang tagapag-alaga, ‘Huwag po muna nating putulin ngayon. Huhukayan ko po ang palibot at lalagyan ng pataba, baka sakaling mamunga na sa susunod na taon. Kung hindi pa, saka po ninyo ipaputol.’”

      Delete
    2. Nagbabasa ang mga itong pagbabasa para sa panahong C na taon.

      Delete
  10. Unang pagbabasa (Exodo 17: 3–7)
    Ang pagbabasa sa aklat ni Exodo.
    Ngunit talagang uhaw na uhaw na ang mga Israelita, kaya sinumbatan nila si Moises, “Inilabas mo ba kami sa Egipto para patayin sa uhaw pati mga anak namin at mga alagang hayop?” Kaya, humingi ng tulong si Moises kay Yahweh, “Ano ang gagawin ko sa mga taong ito? Gusto na nila akong batuhin?” Sumagot si Yahweh, “Magsama ka ng ilang pinuno ng Israel at mauna kayo sa mga Israelita. Dalhin mo ang iyong tungkod na inihampas mo sa Ilog Nilo at lumakad na kayo. Hihintayin ko kayo sa ibabaw ng malaking bato sa Sinai. Hampasin mo ito at bubukal ang tubig na maiinom ng mga tao.” Iyon nga ang ginawa ni Moises; at ito'y nasaksihan ng mga kasama niyang pinuno ng Israel. Ang lugar na iyon ay pinangalanan niyang “Masah” at “Meriba” sapagkat nagtalu-talo doon ang mga Israelita at sinubok nila si Yahweh. Ang pinagtalunan nila ay kung pinapatnubayan nga sila ni Yahweh o hindi.

    Pangalawang pagbabasa (Roma 5: 1–2 at 5–8)
    Ang pagbabasa sa unang sulat ni San Pablo sa mga taga-Roma.
    Sapagkat napawalang-sala na tayo sa pamamagitan ng ating pananampalataya, mayroon na tayong mapayapang ugnayan sa Diyos sa pamamagitan ng ating Panginoong Jesu-Cristo. Sa pamamagitan ng pagsampalataya kay Jesu-Cristo, tinamasa natin ang kagandahang-loob ng Diyos, at tayo'y nagagalak dahil sa pag-asang tayo'y makakabahagi sa kanyang kaluwalhatian. At hindi tayo binibigo ng pag-asang ito sapagkat ang pag-ibig ng Diyos ay ibinuhos na sa ating mga puso sa pamamagitan ng Espiritu Santo na ipinagkaloob sa atin. Sapagkat noong tayo'y mahihina pa, namatay si Cristo sa takdang panahon para sa mga makasalanan. Mahirap mangyaring ialay ninuman ang kanyang buhay alang-alang sa isang taong matuwid, kahit na maaaring may mangahas na gumawa nito alang-alang sa isang taong mabuti. Ngunit pinatunayan ng Diyos ang kanyang pag-ibig sa atin nang mamatay si Cristo para sa atin noong tayo'y makasalanan pa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ebanghelyo (Juan 4: 5–42)
      Ang magandang balita ayon kay San Juan.
      Dumating siya sa isang bayan na tinatawag na Sicar. Malapit ito sa bukid na ibinigay ni Jacob sa kanyang anak na si Jose. Dito matatagpuan ang balon ni Jacob. Dahil napagod si Jesus sa paglalakbay, umupo siya sa tabi ng balon. Halos katanghalian na noon. May isang Samaritanang dumating upang umigib, at sinabi ni Jesus sa kanya, “Maaari bang makiinom?” Wala noon ang kanyang mga alagad dahil sila'y bumibili ng pagkain sa bayan. Sinabi sa kanya ng babae, “Ikaw ay Judio at Samaritana naman ako. Bakit ka humihingi sa akin ng inumin?” Sinabi niya iyon sapagkat hindi nakikihalubilo ang mga Judio sa mga Samaritano. Sumagot si Jesus, “Kung alam mo lamang ang kaloob ng Diyos, at kung sino itong humihingi sa iyo ng inumin, ikaw ang hihingi sa kanya at bibigyan ka niya ng tubig na nagbibigay-buhay.” Nagsalita ang babae, “Ginoo, malalim ang balong ito at wala ka namang pansalok. Saan ka kukuha ng tubig na nagbibigay-buhay? Ang balong ito ay pamana pa sa amin ng aming ninunong si Jacob. Dito siya uminom, gayundin ang kanyang mga anak at mga hayop. Higit ka pa ba sa kanya?” Sumagot si Jesus, “Ang bawat uminom ng tubig na ito'y muling mauuhaw, ngunit ang sinumang uminom ng tubig na ibibigay ko sa kanya ay hindi na muling mauuhaw kailanman. Ang tubig na ibibigay ko ay magiging batis sa loob niya, at patuloy na bubukal at magbibigay sa kanya ng buhay na walang hanggan.” Sinabi ng babae, “Ginoo, bigyan po ninyo ako ng tubig na iyan upang hindi na ako mauhaw, ni pumarito pa upang sumalok muli.”

      Delete
    2. “Umuwi ka at isama mo rito ang iyong asawa,” wika ni Jesus. “Wala akong asawa,” sagot ng babae. Sinabi ni Jesus, “Tama ang sinabi mong wala kang asawa sapagkat lima na ang iyong naging asawa, at ang kinakasama mo ngayon ay hindi mo asawa. Totoo nga ang sinabi mo.” Sinabi ng babae, “Ginoo, palagay ko ay isa kang propeta. Dito sa bundok na ito sumamba sa Diyos ang aming mga ninuno, ngunit sinasabi ninyong mga Judio na sa Jerusalem lamang dapat sambahin ang Diyos.” Sinabi naman ni Jesus, “Maniwala ka sa akin, darating ang panahon na sasambahin ninyo ang Ama hindi na sa bundok na ito o sa Jerusalem. Hindi ninyo kilala ang inyong sinasamba, ngunit kilala namin ang aming sinasamba, sapagkat ang kaligtasan ay nagmumula sa mga Judio. Subalit dumarating na ang panahon at ngayon na nga, na ang mga tunay na sumasamba sa Ama ay sasamba sa kanya sa espiritu at sa katotohanan. Sapagkat ganyan ang uri ng pagsambang ninanais ng Ama. Ang Diyos ay Espiritu at ang mga sumasamba sa kanya ay dapat siyang sambahin sa espiritu at sa katotohanan.” Sinabi ng babae, “Nalalaman ko pong darating ang Mesiyas, ang tinatawag na Cristo. Pagdating niya, siya ang magpapahayag sa amin ng lahat ng bagay.” “Akong kausap mo ngayon ang iyong tinutukoy,” sabi ni Jesus. Dumating ang kanyang mga alagad nang sandaling iyon, at nagtaka sila nang makita nilang nakikipag-usap si Jesus sa isang Samaritana. Ngunit isa man sa kanila'y walang nagtanong sa babae, “Ano ang kailangan ninyo?” Wala ring nagtanong kay Jesus, “Bakit ninyo siya kinakausap?” Iniwan ng babae ang kanyang banga, bumalik sa bayan at sinabi sa mga tagaroon, “Halikayo! Tingnan ninyo ang taong nagsabi sa akin ng lahat ng ginawa ko. Siya na kaya ang Cristo?” Kaya't lumabas ng bayan ang mga tao at nagpunta kay Jesus. Samantala, makailang ulit na sinabi ng mga alagad kay Jesus, “Rabi, kumain na kayo.” Ngunit sumagot siya, “Ako'y may pagkaing hindi ninyo nalalaman.” Kaya't nagtanung-tanungan ang mga alagad, “May nagdala kaya sa kanya ng pagkain?” Sinabi sa kanila ni Jesus, “Ang pagkain ko'y ang tuparin ang kalooban ng nagsugo sa akin at tapusin ang ipinapagawa niya sa akin. “Hindi ba sinasabi ninyo, ‘Apat na buwan pa at anihan na’? Sinasabi ko naman sa inyo, masdan ninyo ang mga bukid, hinog na ang trigo at handa nang anihin. Ang umaani ay tumatanggap ng kabayaran at nagtitipon ng bunga para sa buhay na walang hanggan. Kaya't magkasamang magagalak ang nagtatanim at ang umaani. Dito nagkakatotoo ang kasabihang, ‘Iba ang nagtatanim at iba naman ang umaani.’ Isinugo ko kayo upang anihin ang hindi ninyo itinanim. Iba ang naghirap dito at kayo naman ang umani ng kanilang pinaghirapan.” Maraming Samaritano sa bayang iyon ang naniwala kay Jesus dahil sa patotoo ng babae, “Sinabi niya sa akin ang lahat ng aking ginawa.” Kaya't pumunta sila kay Jesus at nakiusap na tumigil muna siya roon, at tumigil nga siya roon sa loob ng dalawang araw. At marami pang sumampalataya nang mapakinggan siya. Pagkatapos, sinabi nila sa babae, “Naniniwala kami ngayon, hindi na dahil sa sinabi mo kundi dahil sa narinig namin siya. Alam na naming siya nga ang Tagapagligtas ng sangkatauhan.”

      Delete
    3. Nagbabasa ang mga itong pagbabasa para sa panahong A na taon.

      Delete

English: Do you have any comments or questions on this reading? Add your comment or question here.
Español: ¿Tienes cualquier comentarios o preguntas en esta lectura? Añade tu comentario o pregunta aquí.
Bahasa Indonesia: Ada komentar atau pertanyaan untuk bacaan ini? Mengatakan komentar Anda atau pertanyaan disini.
日本語:この読み物にコメントや質問がありますか?コメントや質問、書いて下さい。