Saturday, July 24, 2010

17th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Date: July 25, 2010

First Reading (Genesis 18: 20–33)
A reading from the book of Genesis.
Then the Lord stated, "How great is the cry for justice against Sodom and Gomorrah! And how grievous is their sin! I am going to see if they have done all that they are charged with in the outcry that has reached me. If it is not so, I will know." The men with him turned away and went towards Sodom, but the Lord remained standing before Abraham. Abraham went forward and stated, "Will you really let the just perish with the wicked? Perhaps there are fifty good people in the town. Are you really going to let them perish? Would you not spare the place for the sake of these fifty righteous people? It would not be at all like you to do such a thing and you cannot let the good perish with the wicked, nor treat the good and the wicked alike. Far be it from you! Will not the judge of all the earth be just?" Then the Lord stated, "If I find fifty good people in Sodom, I will spare the whole place for their sake." Abraham spoke up again, "I know that I am very bold to speak like this to my Lord, I who am only dust and ashes! But perhaps the number of the good is five less than fifty. Will you destroy the town because of five?" The Lord replied, "I will not destroy the town if I find forty-five good people there." Again Abraham stated to the Lord, "Perhaps there will be only forty." The Lord answered, "For the sake of forty, I will not do it." Abraham continued, stating, "May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak. Maybe only thirty good people will be found in the town." The Lord answered, "I will not destroy it if I find thirty there." Abraham stated, "Now that I have been so bold as to speak to my Lord, what if only twenty can be found?" He stated, "For the speak of twenty, I will not destroy the place." But Abraham insisted, "May my Lord not be angry, but let me speak just once more. What if only ten can be found?" And the Lord answered, "For the sake of ten good people, I will not destroy Sodom." When the Lord had finished speaking with Abraham, he left, and Abraham went home.

Second Reading (Colossians 2: 12–14)
A reading from the letter of Saint Paul to the Colossians.
Brothers and sisters: I refer to baptism. On receiving it you were buried with Christ; and you also rose with him for having believed in the power of God who raised him from the dead. You were dead. You were in sin and uncircumcised at the same time. But God gave you life with Christ. He forgave all our sins. He canceled the record of our debts, those regulations which accused us. He did away with all that and nailed it to the cross.

Gospel (Luke 11: 1–13)
A reading from the holy Gospel according to Luke.
One day Jesus was praying in a certain place and when he had finished, one of his disciples stated to him, "Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples." And Jesus stated to them, "When you pray, say this: 'Father, hallowed be your name, may your kingdom come, give us each day the kind of bread we need, and forgive us our sins, for we also forgive all who do us wrong, and do not bring us to the test.'" Jesus added, stating this to his disciples, "Suppose one of you has a friend and goes to his house in the middle of the night and says: 'Friend, lend me three loaves, for a friend of mine who is traveling has just arrived and I have nothing to offer him.' Maybe your friend will answer from inside: 'Do not bother me now; the door is locked and my children and I are in bed, so I cannot get up and give you anything.' But I tell you, even though he will not get up and attend to you because you are a friend, yet he will get up because you are a bother to him, and he will give you all you need. And so I say to you, 'Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For the one who asks, receives; and the one who searches, finds; and to him who knocks the door will be opened. If your child asks for a fish, will you give a snake instead? And if your child asks for an egg, will you give a scorpion? Even you evil people know how to give good gifts to your children; then how much more will the Father in heaven give holy spirit to those who ask him?"

19 comments:

  1. Responsorial Psalm (Psalm 138) (Verses 1-3 and 6-8)
    The response is: Lord, on the day I called for help, you answered me.

    I thank you, O Lord, with all my heart, for you have heard the word of my lips. I sing your praise in the presence of the gods. I bow down towards your holy temple and give thanks to your name.

    For your love and faithfulness, for your word which exceeds everything. You answered me when I called; you restored my soul and made me strong.

    From above, the Lord watches over the lowly; from afar, he marks down the haughty. If I walk in the midst of trouble, you give me life. With an outstretched arm, you save me from the wrath of my foes, with your right hand you deliver me.

    How the Lord cares for me! Your kindness, O Lord, endures forever. Forsake not the work of your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The vocabulary word for this week is 'contrite'. What does 'contrite' mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Previously, from the 1st Round Standings, the scores are as follows:
    Bohb: 0 points
    Grindan: 1 point
    Solmyr: 1 point
    Theodorus: 1 point
    Ufretin: 1 point
    Paulus: 1 point
    Fiur: 1 point

    ReplyDelete
  4. I answer first! Contrite means 'kind'. I lock in with that answer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I concur with Bohb on this one. I lock in my answer with 'kind'. I believe that defines 'contrite'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a different answer. My answer is that 'contrite' means full of compassion. That is my guess. It is an adjective. I lock in with that answer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I forgot. I want to add that contrite is an adjective. I also lock in that answer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe that 'contrite' is an adjective that means full of feeling, compassion, and kindness. I lock in with that answer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I concur with Theodorus for defining both Bohb's and Solmyr's definition of 'contrite'. Yes, I concur that 'contrite' is an adjective.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ditto what Ufretin said. I lock in my answer correspondingly with what Theodorus said.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will concur with the answer of Bohb. I lock in with his answer. I am not plagiarizing of course! I just agree! Of course, I am absolutely certain that 'contrite' is an adjective.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, everyone has locked in their answer. The definition of 'contrite' is taken from the Encarta Dictionary to avoid plagiarism. Here is the definition:
    Contrite (adjective)
    1. repentant
    deeply sorry for having behaved wrongly

    2. arising from sense of guilt
    done or stated out of a sense of guilt or remorse

    Contritely is an adverb.
    Contriteness is a noun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Unfortunately, our contestants all have different answers. Therefore, none of our contestants will receive points. However, you all did a fantastic job of inferring by looking at the context.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Therefore, after the 2nd Round, the current scores are:
    Bohb: 0 points
    Grindan: 1 point
    Solmyr: 1 point
    Theodorus: 1 point
    Ufretin: 1 point
    Paulus: 1 point
    Fiur: 1 point

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everyone is currently in a stalemate position. Bohb, you are in last place. However, there are still many weeks to go, and this competition will end in the year 2011. You still have plenty of time to redeem yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Sean! I would like to ask for the next week's readings. Please reply back. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Greetings, Gurvilin. For the first day of August, the 18th Sunday of Ordinary Time Readings are as follows:
    For the First Reading, you will read from the book of Ecclesiastes (Qohelet), chapter 1, verse 2; and chapter 2, verses 21-23.
    For the Second Reading, you will read from the letter of Saint Paul to the Colossians, chapter 3, verses 1-5 and 9-11.
    For the Gospel, it is according to Luke, chapter 12, verses 13-21.
    I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Primera Lectura (Génesis 18: 20-33)
    Una lectura del libro del Génesis.
    Dijo entonces Yahvé: “La denuncia contra Sodoma y Gomorra es terrible, y su pecado es grande. Voy a visitarlos, y comprobaré si han actuado según esas denuncias que han llegado hasta mí. Si no es así, lo sabré.” Los hombres partieron y se dirigieron a Sodoma, mientras Yahvé se quedaba de pie delante de Abraham. Se acercó entonces Abraham y le dijo: “¿Es cierto que vas a exterminar al justo junto con el malvado? Tal vez haya cincuenta justos dentro de la ciudad: ¿es cierto que vas a acabar con todos y no perdonar el lugar en atención a esos cincuenta justos? ¡Tú no vas a hacer algo semejante, permitir que el bueno sea tratado igual que el malvado! ¿O es que el juez de toda la tierra no aceptará lo que es justo?” Yahvé le dijo: “Si encuentro en Sodoma cincuenta justos dentro de la ciudad, perdonaré a todo el lugar en atención a ellos.” Abraham volvió a hablar: “Sé que a lo mejor es un atrevimiento hablar a mi Señor, yo que soy polvo y ceniza, pero si faltan cinco justos para llegar a los cincuenta, ¿destruirás la ciudad por esos cinco que faltan?” Yahvé respondió: “No habrá destrucción si encuentro allí cuarenta y cinco hombres justos.” Abraham insistió: “Pero a lo mejor se encuentran allí sólo cuarenta justos.” Yahvé contestó: “En atención a esos cuarenta, no lo haré.” Abraham continuó todavía: “No se enoje mi Señor si sigo hablando, pero tal vez no se encuentren más que treinta justos.” Yahvé contestó: “No lo haré si encuentro allí treinta justos.” Abraham insistió: “Sé que es una osadía por mi parte hablar así a mi Señor; pero, ¿y si se encuentran allí solamente veinte justos?” Yahvé contestó: “No destruiré el lugar, en atención a esos veinte.” Abraham dijo: “Vaya, no se enoje mi Señor, y hablaré por última vez. Puede ser que se encuentren allí sólo diez.” Yahvé dijo: “En atención a esos diez, no destruiré la ciudad.” Cuando Yahvé terminó de hablar con Abraham se fue, mientras Abraham volvió a su casa.

    Salmo responsivo (Salmo 138) (Versículos 1-3 y 6-8)
    La respuesta es: Cuando te invoqué, Señor, me escuchaste.
    • Te doy gracias, Señor, de todo corazón, te cantaré en presencia de los ángeles. Me postraré ante tu santo Templo, y daré gracias a tu Nombre.
    • Te daré gracias por tu amor y tu fidelidad, y tu promesa ha superado tu renombre. Me respondiste cada vez que te invoqué y aumentaste la fuerza de mi alma.
    • El Señor está en las alturas, pero se fija en el humilde y reconoce al orgulloso desde lejos. Si camino entre peligros, me conservas la vida, extiendes tu mano contra el furor de mi enemigo, y tu derecha me salva.
    • El Señor lo hará todo por mí. Señor, tu amor es eterno, ¡no abandones la obra de tus manos!

    Segunda Lectura (Colosenses 2: 12-14)
    Una lectura de la carta de San Pablo a los colosenses.
    En el bautismo, ustedes fueron sepultados con él, y con él resucitaron, por la fe en el poder de Dios que lo resucitó de entre los muertos. Ustedes estaban muertos a causa de sus pecados y de la incircuncisión de su carne, pero Cristo los hizo revivir con él, perdonando todas nuestras faltas. Él canceló el acta de condenación que nos era contraria, con todas sus cláusulas, y la hizo desaparecer clavándola en la cruz.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Evangelio (Lucas 11: 1-13)
    Una lectura del Evangelio Santo según San Lucas.
    Un día, Jesús estaba orando en cierto lugar, y cuando terminó, uno de sus discípulos le dijo: “Señor, enséñanos a orar, así como Juan enseñó a sus discípulos”. Él les dijo entonces: “Cuando oren, digan: Padre, santificado sea tu Nombre, que venga tu Reino, danos cada día nuestro pan cotidiano; perdona nuestros pecados, porque también nosotros perdonamos a aquellos que nos ofenden; y no nos dejes caer en la tentación”. Jesús agregó: “Supongamos que algunos de ustedes tiene un amigo y recurre a él a medianoche, para decirle: ‘Amigo, préstame tres panes, porque uno de mis amigos llegó de viaje y no tengo nada que ofrecerle’, y desde adentro él le responde: ‘No me fastidies; ahora la puerta está cerrada, y mis hijos y yo estamos acostados. No puedo levantarme para dártelos’. Yo les aseguro que aunque él no se levante para dárselos por ser su amigo, se levantará al menos a causa de su insistencia y le dará todo lo necesario. También les aseguro: pidan y se les dará, busquen y encontrarán, llamen y se les abrirá. Porque el que pide, recibe; el que busca, encuentra; y al que llama, se le abre. ¿Hay entre ustedes algún padre que da a su hijo una piedra cuando le pide pan? ¿Y si le pide un pescado, le dará en su lugar una serpiente? ¿Y si le pide un huevo, le dará un escorpión? Si ustedes, que son malos, saben dar cosas buenas a sus hijos, cuánto más el Padre del cielo dará el Espíritu Santo a aquellos que se lo pidan”.

    ReplyDelete

English: Do you have any comments or questions on this reading? Add your comment or question here.
Español: ¿Tienes cualquier comentarios o preguntas en esta lectura? Añade tu comentario o pregunta aquí.
Bahasa Indonesia: Ada komentar atau pertanyaan untuk bacaan ini? Mengatakan komentar Anda atau pertanyaan disini.
日本語:この読み物にコメントや質問がありますか?コメントや質問、書いて下さい。