Saturday, June 23, 2018

The Nativity of Saint John the Baptist

Date: June 24, 2018

New American Bible readings
Readings for the vigil mass
First reading (Jeremiah 1: 4–10)
A reading from the book of the prophet Jeremiah.
In the days of King Josiah, the word of the LORD came to me, saying: Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I dedicated you, a prophet to the nations I appointed you. "Ah, Lord GOD!" I said, "I know not how to speak; I am too young." But the LORD answered me, Say not, "I am too young." To whomever I send you, you shall go; whatever I command you, you shall speak. Have no fear before them, because I am with you to deliver you, says the LORD. Then the LORD extended his hand and touched my mouth, saying,See, I place my words in your mouth! This day I set you over nations and over kingdoms, to root up and to tear down, to destroy and to demolish, to build and to plant.

Second reading (1 Peter 1: 8–12)
A reading from the first letter of Saint Peter.
Beloved: Although you have not seen Jesus Christ you love him; even though you do not see him now yet believe in him, you rejoice with an indescribable and glorious joy, as you attain the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls. Concerning this salvation, prophets who prophesied about the grace that was to be yours searched and investigated it, investigating the time and circumstances that the Spirit of Christ within them indicated when he testified in advance to the sufferings destined for Christ and the glories to follow them. It was revealed to them that they were serving not themselves but you with regard to the things that have now been announced to you by those who preached the Good News to you through the Holy Spirit sent from heaven, things into which angels longed to look.

Gospel (Luke 1: 5–17)
A reading from the holy Gospel according to Luke.
In the days of Herod, King of Judea, there was a priest named Zechariah of the priestly division of Abijah; his wife was from the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elizabeth. Both were righteous in the eyes of God, observing all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blamelessly. But they had no child, because Elizabeth was barren and both were advanced in years. Once when he was serving as priest in his division's turn before God, according to the practice of the priestly service, he was chosen by lot to enter the sanctuary of the Lord to burn incense. Then, when the whole assembly of the people was praying outside at the hour of the incense offering, the angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing at the right of the altar of incense. Zechariah was troubled by what he saw, and fear came upon him. But the angel said to him, "Do not be afraid, Zechariah, because your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you shall name him John. And you will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth, for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. John will drink neither wine nor strong drink. He will be filled with the Holy Spirit even from his mother's womb, and he will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God. He will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah to turn their hearts toward their children and the disobedient to the understanding of the righteous, to prepare a people fit for the Lord."

Readings for the mass during the day
First reading (Isaiah 49: 1–6)
A reading from the book of the prophet Isaiah.
Hear me, O coastlands, listen, O distant peoples. The LORD called me from birth, from my mother's womb he gave me my name. He made of me a sharp-edged sword and concealed me in the shadow of his arm. He made me a polished arrow, in his quiver he hid me. You are my servant, he said to me, Israel, through whom I show my glory. Though I thought I had toiled in vain, and for nothing, uselessly, spent my strength, yet my reward is with the LORD, my recompense is with my God. For now the LORD has spoken who formed me as his servant from the womb, that Jacob may be brought back to him and Israel gathered to him; and I am made glorious in the sight of the LORD, and my God is now my strength! It is too little, he says, for you to be my servant, to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and restore the survivors of Israel; I will make you a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.

Second reading (Acts 13: 22–26)
A reading from the Acts of the Apostles.
In those days, Paul said: "God raised up David as king; of him God testified, I have found David, son of Jesse, a man after my own heart; he will carry out my every wish. From this man's descendants God, according to his promise, has brought to Israel a savior, Jesus. John heralded his coming by proclaiming a baptism of repentance to all the people of Israel; and as John was completing his course, he would say, 'What do you suppose that I am? I am not he. Behold, one is coming after me; I am not worthy to unfasten the sandals of his feet.' "My brothers, sons of the family of Abraham, and those others among you who are God-fearing, to us this word of salvation has been sent."

Gospel (Luke 1: 57–66 and 80)
A reading from the holy Gospel according to Luke.
When the time arrived for Elizabeth to have her child she gave birth to a son. Her neighbors and relatives heard that the Lord had shown his great mercy toward her, and they rejoiced with her. When they came on the eighth day to circumcise the child, they were going to call him Zechariah after his father, but his mother said in reply, "No. He will be called John." But they answered her, "There is no one among your relatives who has this name." So they made signs, asking his father what he wished him to be called. He asked for a tablet and wrote, "John is his name," and all were amazed. Immediately his mouth was opened, his tongue freed, and he spoke blessing God. Then fear came upon all their neighbors, and all these matters were discussed throughout the hill country of Judea. All who heard these things took them to heart, saying, "What, then, will this child be?" For surely the hand of the Lord was with him. The child grew and became strong in spirit, and he was in the desert until the day of his manifestation to Israel.


Catholic Pastoral Edition Bible readings
Readings for the vigil mass
First reading (Jeremiah 1: 4–10)
A reading from the book of the prophet Jeremiah.
A word of Yahweh came to me. “Even before I formed you in the womb, I have known you; even before you were born I had set you apart, and appointed you a prophet to the nations!” I said, “Ah, Lord Yahweh! I do not know how to speak; I am still young!” But Yahweh replied, “Do not say: ‘I am still young,’ for now you will go whatever be the mission I am entrusting to you, and you will speak of whatever I command you to say. Do not be afraid of them, for I will be with you to protect you — it is Yahweh who speaks!” Then Yahweh stretched out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, “Now I have put my words in your mouth. See! Today I give you authority over nations and over kingdoms to uproot and to pull down, to destroy and to overthrow, to build and to plant.”

Second reading (1 Peter 1: 8–12)
A reading from the first letter of Saint Peter.
You have not yet seen him and yet you love him; even without seeing him, you believe him and experience a heavenly joy beyond all words, for you are reaching the goal of your faith: the salvation of your souls. This was the salvation for which the prophets so eagerly looked when, in days past, they foretold the favor of God with regard to you. But they could only investigate when the Spirit of Christ present within them pointed out the time and the circumstances of this — the sufferings of Christ and the glories which would follow. It was revealed to them that they were working not for themselves but for you. Thus, in these days, after the Holy Spirit has been sent from heaven, the Gospel’s preachers have taught you these mysteries which even the angels long to see.

Gospel (Luke 1: 5–17)
A reading from the holy Gospel according to Luke.
In the days of Herod, king of Judea, there lived a priest named Zechariah, belonging to the priestly clan of Abiah, Elizabeth, Zechariah’s wife, also belonged to a priestly family. Both of them were upright in the eyes of God and lived blamelessly in accordance with all the laws and commands of the Lord, but they had no child. Elizabeth could not have any and now they were both very old. Now, while Zechariah and those with him were fulfilling their office, it fell to him by lot, according to the custom of the priests, to enter the sanctuary of the Lord and burn incense. At the time of offering incense, all the people were praying outside; it was then that an angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing on the right side of the altar of incense. On seeing the angel, Zechariah was deeply troubled and fear took hold of him. But the angel said to him, “Don’t be afraid, Zechariah, be assured that your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son and you shall name him John. He will bring joy and gladness to you and many will rejoice at his birth. This son of yours will be great in the eyes of the Lord. Listen: he shall never drink wine or strong drink, but he will be filled with holy spirit even from his mother’s womb. Through him, many of the people of Israel will turn to the Lord their God. He himself will open the way to the Lord with the spirit and power of the prophet Elijah; he will reconcile fathers and children, and lead the disobedient to wisdom and righteousness, in order to make ready for the Lord a people prepared.”

Readings for the mass during the day
First reading (Isaiah 49: 1–6)
A reading from the book of the prophet Isaiah.
Listen to me, O islands, pay attention, peoples from distant lands. The Lord called me from my mother's womb; he pronounced my name before I was born. He made my mouth like a sharpened sword. He hid me in the shadow of his hand. He made me into a polished arrow set apart in his quiver. He stated to me, "You are Israel, my servant, through you I will be known." "I have labored in vain," I thought, and spent my strength for nothing. Yet what is due me was in the hand of the Lord, and my reward was with my God. I am important in the sight of the Lord, and my God is my strength. And now the Lord has spoken, he who formed me in the womb to be his servant, to bring Jacob back to him, to gather Israel to him. He stated, "It is not enough that you should be my servant, to restore the tribes of Jacob, to bring back the remnant of Israel. I will make you the light of the nations, that my salvation will reach to the ends of the earth."

Second reading (Acts 13: 22–26)
A reading from the Acts of the Apostles.
Paul stated in front of the assembly: "After that time, God removed him and raised up David as king, to whom he bore witness saying: I have found David, the son of Jesse, a man after my own heart, who will do all I want him to do. It is from the descendants of David that God has now raised up the promised savior of Israel, Jesus. Before he appeared, John proclaimed a baptism of repentance for all the people of Israel. As John was ending his life's work, he stated: 'I am not what you think I am, for after me another one is coming whose sandal I am not worthy to untie.' Brothers, children and descendants of Abraham, and you also who fear God, it is to you that this message of salvation has been sent."

Gospel (Luke 1: 57–66 and 80)
A reading from the holy Gospel according to Luke.
When the time came for Elizabeth, she gave birth to a son. Her neighbors and relatives heard that the merciful Lord had done a wonderful thing for her and they rejoiced with her. When on the eighth day they came to attend the circumcision of the child, they wanted to name him Zechariah after his father. But his mother stated, "Not so; he shall be called John." They stated to her, "No one in your family has that name"; and they asked the father by means of signs for the name he wanted to give. Zechariah asked for a writing tablet and wrote on it, "His name is John," and they were very surprised. Immediately, Zechariah could speak again and his first words were in praise of God. A holy fear came on all in their neighborhood, and throughout the Hills of Judea the people talk about these events. All who heard of it pondered in their minds and wondered, "What will this child be?" For they understood that the hand of the Lord was with him. As the child grew up, he was seen to be strong in the Spirit; he lived in the desert till the day when he appeared openly in Israel.

23 comments:

  1. Responsorial Psalm (Psalm 71) (Verses 1–4a, 5–6ab, 15ab and 17)
    The response is: Since my mother's womb, you have been my strength.

    In you, O LORD, I take refuge; let me never be put to shame. In your justice rescue me, and deliver me; incline your ear to me, and save me.

    Be my rock of refuge, a stronghold to give me safety, for you are my rock and my fortress. O my God, rescue me from the hand of the wicked.

    For you are my hope, O LORD; my trust, O LORD, from my youth. On you I depend from birth; from my mother's womb you are my strength.

    My mouth shall declare your justice, day by day your salvation. O God, you have taught me from my youth, and till the present I proclaim your wondrous deeds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alleluia, alleluia.
    He came to testify to the light, to prepare a people fit for the Lord.
    Alleluia, alleluia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Responsorial Psalm (Psalm 139) (Verses 1B–3 and 13–15)
    The response is: I praise you, for I am wonderfully made.

    O LORD, you have probed me, you know me: you know when I sit and when I stand; you understand my thoughts from afar. My journeys and my rest you scrutinize, with all my ways you are familiar.

    Truly you have formed my inmost being; you knit me in my mother's womb. I give you thanks that I am fearfully, wonderfully made; wonderful are your works.

    My soul also you knew full well; nor was my frame unknown to you, when I was made in secret, when I was fashioned in the depths of the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alleluia, alleluia.
    You, child, will be called prophet of the Most High, for you will go before the Lord to prepare his way.
    Alleluia, alleluia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Responsorial Psalm (Psalm 71) (Verses 1–6, 15ab and 17)
    The response is: Since my mother's womb, you have been my strength.

    In you, O Lord, I seek refuge; let me not be disgraced. In your justice help me and deliver me, turn your ear to me and save me!

    Be my rock of refuge, a stronghold to give me safety, for you are my rock and my fortress. Rescue me, O my God, from the hand of the wicked, from the grasp of cruel and violent people.

    For you, O Lord, have been my hope, my trust, O God, from my youth. I have relied on you from birth: from my mother's womb you brought me forth. My praise is of you continually.

    My lips will proclaim your intervention and tell of your salvation all day. You have taught me from my youth and until now, I proclaim your marvels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Responsorial Psalm (Psalm 139) (Verses 1–3 and 13–15)
    The response is: I praise you, for I am wonderfully made.

    O Lord, you know me: you have scrutinized me. You know when I sit and when I rise; beforehand you discern my thoughts. You observe me activities and times of rest; you are familiar with all my ways.

    It was you who formed my inmost part and knit me together in my mother's womb. I thank you for these wonders you have done, and my heart praises you for your marvelous deeds.

    Even my bones were known to you when I was being formed in secret, fashioned in the depths of the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Primera lectura (Jeremías 1: 4–10)
    Una lectura del libro del profeta Jeremías.
    Me llegó una palabra de Yahvé: “Antes de formarte en el seno de tu madre, ya te conocía; antes de que tú nacieras, yo te consagré, y te destiné a ser profeta de las naciones.” Yo exclamé: “Ay, Señor, Yahvé, ¡cómo podría hablar yo, que soy un muchacho!” Y Yahvé me contestó: “No me digas que eres un muchacho. Irás adondequiera que te envíe, y proclamarás todo lo que yo te mande. No les tengas miedo, porque estaré contigo para protegerte, palabra de Yahvé.” Entonces Yahvé extendió su mano y me tocó la boca, diciéndome: “En este momento pongo mis palabras en tu boca. En este día te encargo los pueblos y las naciones: Arrancarás y derribarás, perderás y destruirás, edificarás y plantarás.”

    Salmo responsorial (Salmo 71) (Versículos 1–6, 15AB y 17)
    La respuesta es: Desde mi seno maternal, has sido mi fuerza.
    • Yo me refugio en ti, Señor, ¡que nunca tenga que avergonzarme! Por tu justicia, líbrame y rescátame, inclina tu oído hacia mí, y sálvame.
    • Sé para mí una roca protectora, tú que decidiste venir siempre en mi ayuda, porque tú eres mi Roca y mi fortaleza. ¡Líbrame, Dios mío, de las manos del impío, de las garras del malvado y del violento!
    • Porque tú, Señor, eres mi esperanza y mi seguridad desde mi juventud. En ti me apoyé desde las entrañas de mi madre; desde el seno materno fuiste mi protector, y mi alabanza está siempre ante ti.
    • Mis labios proclamarán de tu intervención y contarán de tu salvación todos los días. Dios mío, tú me enseñaste desde mi juventud, y hasta hoy he narrado tus maravillas.

    Segunda lectura (1 Pedro 1: 8–12)
    Una lectura de la primera carta de San Pedro.
    Ustedes lo aman sin haberlo visto; ahora creen en él sin verlo, y ahora se sienten llenos de una alegría inefable y celestial al tener ya ahora eso mismo que pretende la fe, la salvación de sus almas. Los profetas hablaron de ese favor que ustedes iban a recibir y se preguntaron o quisieron saber más al respecto. El Espíritu de Cristo estaba en ellos y les descubría de antemano los sufrimientos de Cristo y la gloria que iba a alcanzar, pero ellos se preguntaban quién sería y cuándo se realizaría eso. Estaban preparando lo que mantiene a los ángeles en suspenso, y que ahora les ha sido anunciado a ustedes por sus evangelizadores, al mismo tiempo que el Espíritu Santo les era enviado desde el cielo. Y les fue revelado que todo esto sería, no para ellos, sino para ustedes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evangelio (Lucas 1: 5–17)
      Una lectura del Evangelio Santo según el San Lucas.
      En tiempos de Herodes, rey de Judea, había un sacerdote llamado Zacarías, de la clase sacerdotal de Abías. Su mujer, llamada Isabel, era descendiente de Aarón. Ambos eran justos a los ojos de Dios y seguían en forma irreprochable todos los mandamientos y preceptos del Señor. Pero no tenían hijos, porque Isabel era estéril; y los dos eran de edad avanzada. Un día en que su clase estaba de turno y Zacarías ejercía la función sacerdotal delante de Dios, le tocó en suerte, según la costumbre litúrgica, entrar en el Santuario del Señor para quemar el incienso. Toda la asamblea del pueblo permanecía afuera, en oración, mientras se ofrecía el incienso. Entonces se le apareció el Ángel del Señor, de pie, a la derecha del altar del incienso. Al verlo, Zacarías quedó desconcertado y tuvo miedo. Pero el Ángel le dijo: "No temas, Zacarías; tu súplica ha sido escuchada. Isabel, tu esposa, te dará un hijo al que llamarás Juan. El será para ti un motivo de gozo y de alegría, y muchos se alegrarán de su nacimiento, porque será grande a los ojos del Señor. No beberá vino ni bebida alcohólica; estará lleno del Espíritu Santo desde el seno de su madre, y hará que muchos israelitas vuelvan al Señor, su Dios. Precederá al Señor con el espíritu y el poder de Elías, para reconciliar a los padres con sus hijos y atraer a los rebeldes a la sabiduría de los justos, preparando así al Señor un Pueblo bien dispuesto."

      Delete
    2. Estas lecturas sirven para la misa durante la noche (víspera).

      Delete
  8. Primera lectura (Isaías 49: 1–6)
    Una lectura del libro del profeta Isaías.
    Escúchenme, islas lejanas, pongan atención, pueblos. Yahvé me llamó desde el vientre de mi madre, conoció mi nombre desde antes que naciera. Hizo de mi boca una espada cortante y me guardó debajo de su mano. Hizo de mí una flecha puntiaguda que tenía escondida entre las otras. Él me dijo: “Tú eres mi servidor, Israel, y por ti me daré a conocer.” Mientras que yo pensaba: “He trabajado en balde, en vano he gastado mis fuerzas, para nada.” Yahvé, sin embargo, protegía mis derechos, mi Dios guardaba mi salario, pues soy importante para Yahvé, y mi Dios se hizo mi fuerza. Y ahora ha hablado Yahvé, que me formó desde el seno materno para que fuera su servidor, para que le traiga a Jacob y le junte a Israel: “No vale la pena que seas mi servidor únicamente para restablecer a las tribus de Jacob, o traer sus sobrevivientes a su patria. Tú serás, además, una luz para las naciones, para que mi salvación llegue hasta el último extremo de la tierra.”

    Salmo responsorial (Salmo 139) (Versículos 1–3 y 13–15)
    La respuesta es: Te alabo, porque fui formado de manera admirable.
    • Señor, tú me sondeas y me conoces tú sabes si me siento o me levanto; de lejos percibes lo que pienso, te das cuenta si camino o si descanso, y todos mis pasos te son familiares.
    • Tú creaste mis entrañas, me plasmaste en el seno de mi madre: te doy gracias porque fui formado de manera tan admirable. ¡Qué maravillosas son tus obras!
    • Tú conocías hasta el fondo de mi alma y nada de mi ser se te ocultaba, cuando yo era formado en lo secreto, cuando era tejido en lo profundo de la tierra.

    Segunda lectura (Hechos de los apóstoles 13: 22–26)
    Una lectura de los hechos de los apóstoles.
    Y cuando Dios desechó a Saúl, les suscitó como rey a David, de quien dio este testimonio: He encontrado en David, el hijo de Jesé, a un hombre conforme a mi corazón que cumplirá siempre mi voluntad. De la descendencia de David, como lo había prometido, Dios hizo surgir para Israel un Salvador, que es Jesús. Como preparación a su venida, Juan había predicado un bautismo de penitencia a todo el pueblo de Israel. Y al final de su carrera, Juan decía: “Yo no soy el que ustedes creen, pero sepan que después de mí viene aquel a quien yo no soy digno de desatar las sandalias.” Hermanos, este mensaje de salvación está dirigido a ustedes: los descendientes de Abraham y los que temen a Dios.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evangelio (Lucas 1: 57–66 y 80)
      Una lectura del Evangelio Santo según el san Lucas.
      Cuando llegó el tiempo en que Isabel debía ser madre, dio a luz un hijo. Al enterarse sus vecinos y parientes de la gran misericordia con que Dios la había tratado, se alegraban con ella. A los ocho días, se reunieron para circuncidar al niño, y querían llamarlo Zacarías, como su padre; pero la madre dijo: “No, debe llamarse Juan.” Ellos le decían: “No hay nadie en tu familia que lleve ese nombre.” Entonces preguntaron por señas al padre qué nombre quería que le pusieran. Este pidió una pizarra y escribió: “Su nombre es Juan.” Todos quedaron admirados. Y en ese mismo momento, Zacarías recuperó el habla y comenzó a alabar a Dios. Este acontecimiento produjo una gran impresión entre la gente de los alrededores, y se lo comentaba en toda la región montañosa de Judea. Todos los que se enteraron guardaban este recuerdo en su corazón y se decían: “¿Qué llegará a ser este niño?” Porque la mano del Señor estaba con él. El niño iba creciendo y se fortalecía en su espíritu; y vivió en lugares desiertos hasta el día en que se manifestó a Israel.

      Delete

English: Do you have any comments or questions on this reading? Add your comment or question here.
Español: ¿Tienes cualquier comentarios o preguntas en esta lectura? Añade tu comentario o pregunta aquí.
Bahasa Indonesia: Ada komentar atau pertanyaan untuk bacaan ini? Mengatakan komentar Anda atau pertanyaan disini.
日本語:この読み物にコメントや質問がありますか?コメントや質問、書いて下さい。